White background in post production

I see it like this: if you mess around with it for two hours one time and learn how to set it up in one minute each subsequent time, you better your skill. In PS you do it every single time, and it limits you, IMO

It just seems to me to make more sense to try to get it right in camera.
It does make more sense, until you try to actually do it. Getting a pure white ground, and proper light on your subject is harder than it sounds.

You just light them separately, and make sure the subject is far enough away from the background not to get light splash... not really that hard if you have enough speedlights / monolights to do it properly. Of course it helps if you know how to light your subject properly first...

What about the gound under and around your subject? Pure white, SOOC.

I have 2 speedlights and that is all. I will try my best and accept your challenge Mr. Bitter.

What about the gound under and around your subject? Pure white, SOOC.

I thought the question was on Backgrounds, not foreground and such! But if you are going to change the terms just to make your point, well that is different kettle of fish! lol! That is more difficult... spill from the subject lighting will expose it close to white (assuming you start with white) but difficult to overexpose it without splashing the subject. I normally don't shoot full length with white backgrounds, so will have to leave this question to someone with more experience in that area.

I'm not changinging the terms. Look at the original post. That's what's being discussed. Jac believes he can shoot that image, and get it right in camera, with zero post work.

Yes I do believe that. I guess what I should of said though is if I was the OP I would not want to know how to fix it in post. I would want to know how to do it right in the first place.

I believe I can get a seamless white background with lighting instead of photoshop. I would always do post on photos to some degree. Well I have to as I shoot everything in RAW anyway.

Several ways. One way is, in PS, draw a path around the image; use the pen tool for best control, select, feather just slightly to avoid a hard edge, and replace with white.

Indeed, the challenge of achieving pure white everywhere during shooting is finding a way to get rid of shadows under the item, if that is what you really desire. Not an easy task. Bringing light through a translucent white surface is another option I would think.

I use this shooting table. How would you guys light it so the background is pure white?

$shooting table-2T.jpg

Indeed, the challenge of achieving pure white everywhere during shooting is finding a way to get rid of shadows under the item, if that is what you really desire. Not an easy task. Bringing light through a translucent white surface is another option I would think.

I like the shadows b/c it provides depth. I don't think I would want to always get entirely rid of the shadow.

Most reactions

Back