White Balance and film in Photoshop

zosia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry if these questions are a bit obvious but I'm a beginner with Photoshop so please bear with me :)

I do like the feature in Photoshop that when you open a DNG file it immediatley brings up a palette that allows you to change the white balance.
I photograph with film and then scan my negatives onto a CD and manipulate later on my home PC. This is probably a stupid question but is there a way that film negatives can be scanned as DNG files?

If not, how can I adjust the white balance through photoshop?

Note: I have the CS2 version.

The only way to adjust white balance is by shooting with a digital camera in raw format. You can adjust the color balance to a jpg in ps using a color balance adjustment layer, a levels adjustment layer, curves, or even selective color. Unlike adjusting white balance in a dng or "raw" file, your edits will be destructive to your file. The amount of change you make to the color will determine how much you affect the file in terms of noise and artifacts. In most cases, simple color adjustments will work fine.

Or you could always fit a filter to your camera if your shooting film and are worried about colour tints.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case.
I have tried using filters but I shoot a lot of photography under tungsten lighting and still find the cooling filter a little 'weak'.

Really? make sure you match the colour temperature of your lights to the right filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back