White Balance in BW

pborgbarthet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does White Balance affect Black and White shots? If I was to shoot black and white under tungsten lighting, would it make any difference what WB setting I used?

Thanks

Interesting question - I dont think so. I tried it and got the same cast on objects.

Yes it most certainly does. White balance changes the sensitivity to different colors of the spectrum. The sensor in a digital camera is far more sensitive to red than any other color. You can see this in an RGB histogram. So, if you expose a photo under tungsten lighting without setting your white balance correctly, you'll get an image with dominant reds. Once color balancing it, it becomes darker because a large portion of the light that was captured was red. This totally affects a b&w image. Open an image in photoshop, make a hue/sat adjustment layer, set the saturation to 0, and set the blend mode to color. You'll have a standard black and white image. Now select the background image and change it's hue/saturation (ctrl+u). Move the hue slider back and forth and watch the tones in the image change as the hue of the underlying photo is changed.

Yes it most certainly does. White balance changes the sensitivity to different colors of the spectrum. The sensor in a digital camera is far more sensitive to red than any other color. You can see this in an RGB histogram. So, if you expose a photo under tungsten lighting without setting your white balance correctly, you'll get an image with dominant reds. Once color balancing it, it becomes darker because a large portion of the light that was captured was red. This totally affects a b&w image. Open an image in photoshop, make a hue/sat adjustment layer, set the saturation to 0, and set the blend mode to color. You'll have a standard black and white image. Now select the background image and change it's hue/saturation (ctrl+u). Move the hue slider back and forth and watch the tones in the image change as the hue of the underlying photo is changed.

Thanks a lot for the information. It really makes sense he way you explained it. I'll be trying it out tonight and i'll let you know the results...

Thanks

I use C1 LE to process my raw files. If I intend a picture to be B&W, there is a B&W preview button. I adjust the white balance to give me the best results in the B&W preview, and then export the picture in grayscale. Changing the color temperature (wb) drastically changes the look of the monochrome image.

Most reactions

Back