White balance issue

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a white balance issue! I set my white balance everytime I change scenes etc to the appropriate setting but it seems that most of my pics have a yellow/jaundiced look to them...should I leave the white balance on auto? I use the incandescent setting most as I shoot mostly indoors right now...I don't have a grey card yet, but may go get one this week...that's a whole different thread question though lol...

Have you considered shifting to shoot in RAW mode? That would let you adjust the white balance of a shot after you take it in editing. Whilst this will be subjective (based on your own eyes viewing of colour and on if your computer monitor is itself calibrated using a hardware based calibration setup - like a Spyder 3) it will be a good saftey buffer to also setting your own white balance - should something go wrong (or say you move from one situation to another very quickly and fail to change the white balance)

On my D80 I just leave it on auto white balance about 99% of the time. It's usually pretty accurate, except under incandescent lighting. It ends up being way too warm. In that situation I shoot the scene with a gray card in it, and adjust the WB in post with the gray dropper in Levels. Although it still ends up just a touch too warm, so I will cool it down a bit.

I've also found that under heavy overcast skies the D80's auto WB tends to be too cool. I just adjust it in Adobe Camera Raw to my liking.

If you don't have a gray card, you can set a custom white balance with a white piece of paper instead (see the manual). That will get you pretty close, and you can fine tune it in post.

If you shoot in RAW (which I see from another thread that you're trying to move to), leave the camera in auto and the adjust the white balance in post-processing.

I just about always use my auto WB setting. It's the only automatic setting I use. Mine's pretty dead on I'd say 98% of the time.

Auto WB really isn't bad on most cameras. I only switch it to manual in certain situations. And yes, shooting raw makes adjusting WB after the photo trivial.

I'm not a huge fan of AWB. Especially indoors, I find more errors the accuracy.
Grey cards are cheap. Shooting RAW is another choice.
If using a flash, indoors/outdoors I keep WB at 5500-5600K or Daylight+A2.

Using a grey card will help with your white balance but if you want to get really accurate colours then I would use a color checker chart like the X-rite Colorchecker Passport. I've used it for colour correction and it very good. If you use Photoshop or Lightroom like I do it makes colour correcting your images a breeze. It's relatively cheap too.

Obviously if you do shoot raw as long as you have a calibrated monitor then you can correct most colour casts. It's important to have a monitor that is calibrated otherwise what you see might not be accurate.

I would suggest trying to correct it in camera as much as you can though first for quicker workflow.

Watford Wedding photographer

Why don't you try auto wb and see how that works?s

How about trying 'preset manual WB'? Capture an image of something white, like some printer paper, in the same light you are going to be shooting in.

Most reactions

Back