White Balance Lens Cap

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This looks awesome! From an email:

White Balance Lens Cap - Perfect White Balance in Every Lighting Situation

One of the coolest digital camera accessories that I’ve come across lately is the White Balance Lens cap. I first heard about it from my friends over at Photojojo.
The concept is simple. Rather than having to carry a Grey Card around with you or relying on post production to get White Balance right - you simply switch your camera into white balance mode and take a photo - with your lens cap still attached.
Doing this tells your camera what kind of light you’ve got in the scene in front of you so it can make the perfect adjustment to take well balanced shots in that location.
Here’s how the lens cap looks.

The lens cap comes in quite a few sizes - for most popular lens diameters and will replace your current lens cap meaning you’ve always got it with you to take the perfectly balanced shot in all lighting situations. It also comes with a neutral and warm white dome so you have a choice of three ‘whites’ to suit different preferences.
No more shots with yellow, orange or blueish tinges to them - just great shots.
The lens cap costs between $45 and $65 - depending upon what size you need. Learn more about it and get your own at Photojojo.

orrrr. just tape your grey card to the inside of your lens cap....
funny the things we will pay for if we dont just stop to think for a second.

Are you retarded? That lens cap is translucent and allows the light through to judge the WB setting... How the hell is taping a card to the inside of your lens cap the same? And I did stop to think for a second...

Are you retarded? That lens cap is translucent and allows the light through to judge the WB setting... How the hell is taping a card to the inside of your lens cap the same? And I did stop to think for a second...

but you could still remove the cap, and hold it in front of the lens, that way, you still save money, and still have the convenience of the cap giving the proper WB.

Oh one more thing. you could just shoot in RAW too, then you never have to set up custom white balance, gray card or not.

I think it's way over priced.

I'm not convinced that it would always work either. It's only balancing for the ambient light at the camera, which might not be the same light you have at the subject.

Seems like the best use for this is outside during the day. I don't remember ever having white balance issues in daylight (seems like one thing that the camera always gets right)...

I use a grey card at the subject.

It would be a fun gadget for, oh, maybe $5... but for $45 - 65, I think I'll pass, thank yoiu.

I think it's way over priced.

I agree, but think that Expodisc can be thanked for setting the price point. This product however, is both a bit cheaper and more convenient. I find it interesting that Expodisc prices seem to have come down since the last time I looked. I guess it's Like they say: competition is good for the consumer.

I agree, but think that Expodisc can be thanked for setting the price point. This product however, is both a bit cheaper and more convenient. I find it interesting that Expodisc prices seem to have come down since the last time I looked. I guess it's Like they say: competition is good for the consumer.

Yes, but you can buy one expodisc at your largest lens size and use it on all your lenses. This product is designed to only work for each specific lens size.

Also, the expodisc really does work, shooting in RAW or not. While I always shoot RAW, I have yet to find a product better than expodisc for mixed lighting situations.

I saw this in Shutterbug (January 2009) because of photokina. They didn't seem to impressed so I didn't give it much though.

-Nick

Most reactions

Back