white balance tools

photogchuck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am about to step into custom white balance after shooting with a friend and seeing how simple it is and the amazing results. I am looking at 3 different filters for this, and would like input. Expo disc, (expoimaging.com) lally cap, (lallyphotography.com), and Eagle i (somaprophoto.com) I'm leaning toward the eagle i due to the price, and reviews I read on amazon, but it seems to be fairly new so not much info is available. I saw it in shutterbug magazine. I'm a little leary of the lally cap, and the expodisc seems very pricey. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Although I use the ExpoDisc, I also CMA by shooting a Robin Myers Digital Gray Card whenever possible.

Thanks everybody. I have looked at most of the things recommended. I like the idea of shooting off a gray card sometimes and then setting white balance in post. The eagle i has the device for setting the white balance via incident reading in camera, comes with a 18% color correct gray storage bag for reflective settings or post, fits all sizes of lenses, and also comes with a drop in warming filter for portraits. Plus it's only about $70. I'll probably order one tomorrow, and I'll do some tests and post results here.

I've used custom white balances before, and didn't mind it. But I've found that with RAW files, and lightroom, I'm better off just leaving the WB on auto and fine tuning it in post. I still use my expo-disc for exposure readings sometimes, but I'm even doing that less as I get more experience behind the camera.

I'm taking a course right now ...and finding out very fast from my teacher ... you can find white balance just about any where you take pictures ... If I shot out side I use the green grass ...indoors there is usually ...not all the time but a nice netrual colour you can use ... plus I carry a gray card ... biggest trick ...shoot in raw .... you can fix up most mistakes there with WB!

Thanks again everyone. I ordered the Eagle i today and will fill you in on the results. I can do my white balance in post, but if I'm shooting a lot I'd rather have it right out of the camera to save lots of time. I'll keep you informed when this Eagle i comes in. Thanks again for the responses.

Most reactions

Back