White specks on film

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!...still new to photography, so please help! whenever I develop my film and make a contact sheet I notice these white specks! They're not little dust particles, but rather large (when compared to a piece of dust) white dots! One of them looked kind-of squarish... anyway, do you know what this is from? ANd also, I have this moon shape thing whenever i print. I know its because the film was bent (oops....) but is there anyway I can get rid of this in the print? My teacher hasnt gone over spot toning, but Im guessing thats what its going to take....right?

The white specs are probably dust on your glass when you're making your contact sheets, or it could be dust on the paper itself. Check the glass for pock marks, scratches and the like.

As for the crimp in your negs, they are gonna be huge when you print, spot toning isn't gonna help much.

You could scan the negs at 4000dpi, clone out the crimp, and make a digital print. Or you could just make a digital neg on a transparency and print it traditionally.

You could scan the negs at 4000dpi, clone out the crimp, and make a digital print. Or you could just make a digital neg on a transparency and print it traditionally.

Thanks for the help... so heres another silly question...but how do you scan the negative? I have one of those scanner/printer combos - so do i just put the negative on the scanner and scan as normal? or do i need some special piece of equipment?

No, sadly, that will not work very well. I have one of those combo jobs, and they aren't what you need.
Check with your instructor, your school may have a proper film scanner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back