Whitetail Buck in Winter Wonderland

jriepe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The area I live has thousands of acres of forest preserves with many deer. This is from a couple winters ago.

Jerry

DeerHighPass.jpg

Great pose. The snow is a bit blown out, but that's what snow does. If it was shot in RAW, you may be able to recover some detail.

I do agree the snow is blown out in the foreground and I don't remember if shot this in RAW. I do now shoot everything in RAW. But unlike most everyone else I don't save my RAW images because for me photography is a great HOBBY that I thoroughly am enjoying during my retirement but most of the time I'm not recording extremely important life changing events. I do save the RAW images of a the few important events I do record though like my parent's recent 75th wedding anniversary.

Jerry

He's a nice looking buck. Looks like maybe the rut was going on at the time you shot this with his neck all swollen up.

here's something to try next time you have a shot like this with the snow highlights and darker subject. when doing your RAW conversion try lowering the exposure level, then pick the dark area details back up using the fill light and increasing the contrast. This tends to give back some of that detail in the whites that gets blown when you bring the exposure up on the overall image for the subject.

Thanks Tony. I appreciate any help and advice that is thrown my way. There's an old saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks but this old dog is willing to try.:D

Jerry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back