Who all is sick of HDR?

I peronally cant stand 90% of the hdr's that I see, but what woodsac does with them I really like.. its more of an airbrushed alternate reality that he adds to them,
I think its a great tool for the interior real estate industry, but its a little weird of a tool. simulating something like shadows for interiors is never as good as getting it right in camera.

Still, to each his own,... its just a tool...

well if you can go into a room that has a window and outside its daylight, take the picture to expose the room AND get the window lit right in camera, Kudos to you.

That's exactly why I use it myself. I want people to see as close to what I saw, and in the world of storm chasing and photographing clouds you almost always either overexpose the sky to get the ground or underexpose the ground to get the sky... Clouds are tricky.

that is my idea of it as well :)

however I do like what some people do when they use hdr to create something new... (some! ;) And I admit woodsac is one of them :p )

I like HDR.

I agree.

I learn from the good ones as well as the not-so-good ones.

Whatever it takes for me to become better at expressing myself. I have no fear when it comes to ruining the effect by using up more HDR electrons than I probably should(?).

I see no sense in either disregarding work based entirely on the use or non-use of a technique.

I see no sense in either disregarding work based entirely on the use or non-use of a technique.

Thats not at all what I'm doing. I'm not disregarding HDR at all, I judge them by the individual photo. I love alot of HDR's (like woodsac's). Also, alot of shots need HDR. But some shots don't need it, and it makes the shot look like crap. I think I've finally found the point of my rant.

It seems today that the thinking is: "If I make my shot an HDR, it will look good." Alot of people think that HDR makes a shoot good IN ANY SITUATION. I find this thinking ridiculous and sorrowfully incorrect. On alot of shots, HDR takes away, and it makes shots look unrealistic and thus, but not always, unartistic.

... I think I've finally found the point of my rant.

It seems today that the thinking is: "If I make my shot an HDR, it will look good." Alot of people think that HDR makes a shoot good IN ANY SITUATION. I find this thinking ridiculous and sorrowfully incorrect. On alot of shots, HDR takes away, and it makes shots look unrealistic and thus, but not always, unartistic.

Now that's what I found out by by trying out HDR on a lot of different kinds of shots before I found out what I think works for me. Sometimes I like pushing the 'realistic' envelope. I also like shooting single exposure RAW. Sometimes I can get what I want from RAW. I haven't yet got what I want from using multiple exposure RAW for HDR.

I'd think that if someone labels a shot as HDR, one way or another they are calling attention to it and could use some diplomatic criticism rather than no one letting them know their 'shirt' stinks. Good grief, if no one tells them their HDR sucks, everyone will think they're as good as Woodsac and the pain will never end. Either help them get better or help them understand that medicine would be a better hobby.

An 'HDR = Ewww...' just ain't right-

maybe you should have thought before posting blah! but honetly i dont think theres anything else to draw from this. weve all concluded that

1. HDR can look cool but doesnt always
2. HDR will die off like selective coloring
and 3. woodsacks HDRs look damn sexy

anyone wanta add anything to the list?

edit: oh theres a page 2, theres nothing wrong with my siggy, just my oppinion. i still think selective coloring is useless. :D

maybe you should have thought before posting blah! but honetly i dont think theres anything else to draw from this. weve all concluded that

1. HDR can look cool but doesnt always
2. HDR will die off like selective coloring
and 3. woodsacks HDRs look damn sexy

anyone wanta add anything to the list?

4. If a thread is labeled HDR, take the time to offer a critique or comment- good or bad.

BTW- William, thanks for the comment on my HDR (I bet you knew that :) ).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79365

Now there are things a photographer can take away from this too, not just the critiquer. (?)

5. HDR won't always make your shot 'better' nor will it make more people respond to your thread.
6. If you have a crappy HDR shot, its better to keep it hidden away in your workflow than to post it. Posting it will only speed up the unavoidable downfall of the mighty HDR.

If you have a crappy HDR shot, its better to keep it hidden away in your workflow than to post it. Posting it will only speed up the unavoidable downfall of the mighty HDR.

In that vein, if you get a chance, please critique *my* first attempts at generating HDR images :mrgreen::

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79427

(It was this thread that got me thinking "maybe I should actually try to make some HDR images myself to see what the fuss is all about")

you have to just shoot them at the magic hour. thats when you see them in catalogues looking richly dark blue/purple sky through the window.... its like prob evening outside., also they sell a static cling tint that you can apply to the window in a few minutes. awsome results.

I just can always tell when something is overly hdr, or overly shadowed or highlighted and it looks so bad when you can tell... thats all..

a little planning in the first hand and you dont need to "fake it"

Am I just oldschool ?

Most reactions

Back