Who are your favorite photographers and why?

When Ansel Adams was asked about noteworthy photographers, in a BBC interview in 1983, the first name he mentioned was W. Eugene Smith.

Smith was, in my opinion, the BEST of the LIFE MAGAZINE photographers. He set the standard for storytelling photography and raised it to the level of ART--he hand printed all his work outside the oversite of Life Magazine which created a love/hate relationship between them.

His life and work is a great story! I wrote a review of one of the biographies of his life--it's on my Blog.

You can see his work by doing a Google of Life Magazine then select from their list of photographers.

you know. Everyone talks about ansel adams like he was a photography God. and I agree was is excellent. But I really wonder if is overrated.

I like my Dad, Ted Grant, he showed me how see light and taught me how to use it. Most of my friends that shoot, I admire what they do and the speed in which they shoot and get images out to the world.

Other than Ansel Adams.....

I really like Eugene Atget..... Eugène Atget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ..... I discovered him while I was watching a documentary called "The Genius of photography", great doc BTW....!!!! His images of Paris are intriguing to me.

And Vivian Maier, IMO the best (unknown) street photographer ever ..... Vivian Maier Photographer | Official website of Vivian Maier | Vivian Maier Portfolios, Prints, Exhibitions, Books and documentary film

Vivian Maier was outstanding.

Ansel Adams was the first photographer that hit my radar when I was in high school. His picture were so pretty! But the ones that really captivated me (and still do) were the street photographers. Of course there was Henri Cartier-Bresson, but also Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier.

And there's Elliott Erwin: Magnum Photos Photographer Portfolio

And I'm going to see this Robert Capa exhibition on Saturday: Capa in Color | International Center of Photography

I like the photographs that capture something that's real. I understand there's a place in art for surrealism and escape and exaggerated/perfected beauty and I can appreciate those forms of art and photography. I just prefer realism, and I find that more often in street/candid photography. I admire the ability of the photographer to observe and recognize the moment, and the skill it requires to capture the moment.

I have so many, far too numerous to name, but here are a few of the greats.

William Eggleston - unique perspective and eye for colour is unparalleled.

Slim Aarons - creates beautiful photos which are always very iconic and brilliant.

Martin Parr - Brilliant english photographer who focuses on creating a perfect collection of photos to present in a book.

these are only three photographers, but are absolutely brilliant and infinitely inspiring. Will add more soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back