Who are your favorite photographers?

Wow...so many people that I admire and go back and look at their work. Some are noted masters and others are people that I hope to be when I "grow up"...

--Andre Kertesz: I first fell in love with his landscapes but I would argue you can learn more about composition just by studying his photos than any other single photographer out there Andre Kertesz / Biography & Images - Atget Photography.com / Videos Books & Quotes

--David Douglas Duncan: one of the best conflict photographers anywhere, amazingly expressive photos, he was also a good friend of Picasso and produced some terrific casuals of PP and his entourage David Douglas Duncan

--Billy Monday: NSFW, terrific landscapes and human forms, very ephemeral and flowing Photographs by Billy Monday

--Joe McNally: if I had to pick one living photographer on this planet to go get a portrait of someone out of studio in their own environment and with just the gear he could carry, it would be this guy JOE MCNALLY PHOTOGRAPHY

--Lois Greenfield: simply put, her dancers FLY Ballet

--Lynne Brubaker: former super model turned photographer, her landscapes, marriage, and dog photography is sublime Lynne Brubaker Photography

--Waldemar Zagorski: NSFW, landscapes and fine art nudes http://wzagorski.com

--Jay Maisel: one of the best at using available light, amazingly practical advice, Recent Work by Jay Maisel

--Vinny Kim: NSFW, male model turned photographer My photographic journey..... — Photographer- Vinny Kim 3/11/15

--John Lehman: NSFW, landscapes, portraits, and human forms Windswept Photography’s albums | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

--Carol Guzy: amazing person, superb photojournalist, does a great job capturing humanity in events and tragedies Camera Works: Best of the Post - Carol Guzy (washingtonpost.com)

--Bill Brandt: NSFW, he believed that the photographer needed to see things that other people didn't...and his work, especially his nudes, demonstrates this. Collecting

Wow! I really liked the work done by Andre Kertesz. Thanks for the link

I saw the Family of Man exhibition around 1955 and there are, as I recall, 247 candidates for my favorite photog in the exhibition and now book. Gene Smith is one of the very best (W. Eugene smith).

I love Larry Chen's work. He photographs for Speedhunters, and damn near every one of his photos I love. I like that he brings much of the Japanese scene and culture into light, as I have ties there. He follows racing, drifting, and the car culture, and I'm blown away by most of his images.

Keld Helmer-Petersen - love the graphic nature of his colour work and his innovation.

Also a fan of John Free - would love to meet him one day.

As I answered in an old thread,

My favorite has been my favorite since I saw his prints over 50 years ago. Yup, Ansel Adams.
I have only seen one or two other photographers who have come close.

Yousef Karsh, his shot of hemingway is the inspiration of my headshot. trademark sweater and instead of hem's white beard, the kickers a tad hot producing a white beard on my jaw line. His Churchill shot has inspired me to piss off some cowboys with guns I was photoing ... they reminded me they could shoot me. And I love his shot of Georgia O'keefe, use of a corner, door at end of hall way for directional light and a skull on the wall above her. Cartier Bresson for his compostion and use of geometry and ability to capture the decisive moment. Steiglitz for fighting to give photography status as an art form. Also for his response to the critique of his Coach photo that it wasn't sharp, he said it wasn't supposed to be.

I don’t really have a fav photographer. I am so out of the box in my approach to photos, that I tend to make and break rules as I go along. Such as using a laser pointer to light up a crystal and cause light splitting and lighting up the crystal
Also I did the reflection challenge this week and that to is out of the box. I try to do things that are different

Horst, Andre Kertez, Irving Penn, Annie Liebovitz, Jay Maisel, Paul Caponigro, Joey Lawrence, Arney Freitag, Helmut Newton, Sheila Metsner, Richard Avedon, Lazlo Maholy-Nagy. An eclectic mix, for sure, spanning the better part of 100 years.

These days however I am more likely to see my photos on the internet, and I feel that these days there is more photographic talent than there was even 20 years ago. I feel like digital photography has made people better shooters far faster, for example the young Mr. Joey Lawrence. It is hard to believe that a guy so young as him can be so good!

For me, two inspirations come to mind.
The first one was about 55 years ago. It was no one in particular, it was the National Geographic Magazine. At about ten years old, I wanted to do THAT!!! LoL
So off I went on my bicycle with my little Kodak Baby Brownie to photograph a little wood duck I knew lived in this little pond about 10 miles from my house!!! BTW, a Brownie doesn’t cut it for nature!
Then 40 years after that, as a formally trained photographer I saw my next inspiration.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been inspired by every good photographer I’ve ever seen. From Adams to HCB to Dave Hill to Ella Manor!
I was at a photography gallery in San Francisco with lots of famous photographers being exhibited.
But I walked by a 50”x60” print by Hendrik Kerstens. Until that day I had not considered portraits seriously, now I shoot a lot of them!
Looking at his work on the internet you won’t give it a second look.
He shoots on color 8x10 sheet film then drum scans. That image at about 5 times real life size, was alive in ways I’d NEVER seen a portrait before!
Though I’d done portraits on 4x5 not long after college, I can’t wait to go back to it and start creating bodies of work with that medium. I’ve been gearing up for that for a few years now.
In the mean time, I’ve just gotta suffer with 50mp FF’s!!! LoL
SS
Hendrik Kerstens - Artists - Danziger Gallery

I looked at Benjamin Von Wong's work. It was AWESOME!!!!!! Thank you for introducing me to him. :)

Most reactions

Back