Who has pre-ordered a Nikon D800?

That's sketchy to think about. I couldn't imagine spending $3k then having to work out their kinks. Wouldn't defects/issues be covered under the warranty? Seems like if the first batch was bad, they should replace your unit with one from the 2nd, improved batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a public release isn't a 'first batch' by the time it's released for sale it'll have gone through several testing periods, and several 'batches'.

In all reality, with any electronic product (even some non-electronic ones), until it is discontinued and no longer supported, it's always in the process of testing, and upgrading, thats why you have to upgrade firmwares, add software patches and upgrades, and in severe cases recalls, etc...I have no issues buying a camera when it's first released from a reputable company, any bug fixes that need to be done are typically minor, and usually taken care of through the company. look at the D3s, after it was released, there was 1 firware update to fix a minor issue that only affected a few cameras, the update was given out by Nikon, nothing else. it's not like you're buying the very first of a experimental technology, sure there are changes, different sensors being used, different noise reduction algorithms, etc....but in reality at the very core, the technology isn't radically different than what has been in use for years...

even the D4 release date has been pushed back for a small firware change. major companies spend MILLIONS to ensure that a product is as bug free as possible before release. it would be far worse for a company to release a poor product against major hype, than it would to delay it's release to ensure it is ready.

That was my assumption, and I know many photographers in their special "loop" get to test the bodies through the various stages. Nonetheless, it seems like every day I come across a few new posts or websites that warn about staying away from the first *consumer* batch (I assumed that was implied last time).

I'm an engineer and with first hand experience on new products and manufacturing; I have no qualms about the first D800's. If that eases your mind.

Not much actually... Now I'm going to be $3k lighter :lol:

noo, they're all going to be bad...don't pre-order!!!

Maybe if sales volumes are low enough I can get mine before may!

That was my assumption, and I know many photographers in their special "loop" get to test the bodies through the various stages. Nonetheless, it seems like every day I come across a few new posts or websites that warn about staying away from the first *consumer* batch (I assumed that was implied last time).

yeah, it kindof depends what you're looking at if the first consumer batch should be avoided or not, if it was a completely new technology, then perhaps that would be wise, like when the first generation of plasma TV's came out, they had some severe burn in issues, and it's progressively got better as the technology has become more refined...but for a new model of camera, there isn't much chance of severe issues and problems like that...

I do know you meant the first consumer batch, but in reality, high level consumers have already been using the D800 for months now, granted it wasn't a public release, but it is still consumers nonetheless..

Last edited:
Pre-ordered a D800 from a local camera store on 2/7 as well. Waiting along with everyone else.

Most reactions

Back