Who is your photography hero?

tundrakatiebean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
..or your favorite photographer?

I've really just been introduced to film photographers and I am amazed at some of the images and people I have seen. In my last class we watched a documentary on Richard Avedon and we saw the images of his father - I literaly burst into tears, I found them that powerful.

I was wondering who's work touches you or inspires you in your film journeys!

I don't have a favorite or hero, but after seeing some documentaries on the Sundance channel, Henri Cartier-Bresson and William Eggleston are unique individuals. I certainly like Eggleston' attitude toward photography.

It's good to see some discussion about photographers on here again, I tried to do this a while back and failed but thats another story...

My photography hero's are vast and differing and to pick one would be almost impossible.

Id have to Say Eggleston would be up there as an inspirational guide.

For sheer genius in the sense of originality of ideas Guy Bourdin certainly should be on the list.

and

The work am am most intrigued by, would have to be Diane Arbus, work of a total genius and holds endless talking points!

Photography is much more than just ascetics and people who do not realise this are really missing out!

Photo heroes? The military photographers who charged the enemy carrying just a camera. The ones who hung out of Huie doors in Viet Nam to bring us it home to us. Also the old time news photogs who used Speed graphics to capture the images of history. Mo Boggs, major league ball player who took prewar pictures of Tokyo harbor with his 35mm while on tour there. Mathew Brady and those of his generation. Joe Rosenthal.
Judge Sharpe

--Cartier-Bresson, aesthetically.

--David Wojnarowicz, politically and in general. documented the ravages of the aids epidemic on the LES nyc gay population. went where no one else would go... told the story of the waterfront lifestyle. he was the epitome of the political artist. unapologetic. so angry. so punk.

RIP

Among contemporary photographers, Smith and Chamlee. I haven't seen such wonderfully crazed technicians since Adams.

I've always been a big fan of Frans Lanting's work

Steve McCurry, he did that Afghan Girl shot for the Geographic. Also James Nacthwey for his war / environmental photography and Joel Satore for his work also. Not really into much other photography, but if for fashion and portraits, my friend Alison is brilliant, she inspires me also. www.alisonboland.com

Among contemporary photographers, Smith and Chamlee. I haven't seen such wonderfully crazed technicians since Adams.

Cound not agree with you more. Except, they are much more akin to Weston than Adams. They do none of the rediculous darkroom manipulation that AA resorted to.

Their work is truely about seeing.

My photography teacher because I wouldn't love this hobby so much if I didn't take her class. I like the guy who did pictures with his friends blood, he called them hiemograms I think. Can't remember the name though.

Steve McCurry, he did that Afghan Girl shot for the Geographic.

I ran into one of his former assistants once. I went berzerk when I found who she had worked for.

Most reactions

Back