Who is your photography hero?

The photographers, I definitely admire most are Ansel Adams and Umberto D'Aniello.

Son Mustafa... That Hasback Krew All day Errday... Check out the Site if you guys like...

www.hasback.com

Andre Kertesz-in the style of Cartier-Bresson's 'decisive moment'.
Charlie Waits for outstanding landscapes.
Andreas H Bitesnich for fabulous nudes.

Not so much heroes but certainly artists to emulate.

What?? Mentor means someone with more experience who has taught you the ways. You must mean hero?

You can learn a great deal from studying the methods of those whose work you admire-a mentor need not be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbertree
What?? Mentor means someone with more experience who has taught you the ways. You must mean hero?

You can learn a great deal from studying the methods of those whose work you admire-a mentor need not be alive.

Actually, he is correct. A mentor / mentee relationship is a direct interaction and teaching between individuals. You may have studied the work of a photographer that is no longer alive, but they did not mentor you.

Apart from the list of important and influential photographers whose work we should all know and appreciate, there are those who attempted to expound the philosophy of photography...whose works we should also be familiar with, such as Susan Sontag and Roland Barthes...

...and then you can begin to understand what photography really is, or can be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbertree

Actually, he is correct. A mentor / mentee relationship is a direct interaction and teaching between individuals. You may have studied the work of a photographer that is no longer alive, but they did not mentor you.

Agreed.

Paul Caponigro
Imogen Cunningham
Edward Weston (Still love those peppers ...)

I have so many that i look up too....Mary Ellen Mark, Lauren Greenfield, Larry Clark, Lee Miller, Salgado, Robert Cappa, Joel-Peter Witkin, David LaChapelle, Atget, Bresson...the list is endless..

Steve McCurry, Matthew Brady both are high on my list.. obviously for very different reasons.
one documents cultures from parts of the world i am unfamiliar with while the other was a pioneer documenting what had happened right in our backyard ....

David LaChappelle. Chase Jarvis. Robert Kappa. Dave Hill.

Garry Winogrand or Sebastiao Salgado re. Hand-Held Photography

Andreas Gursky or Edward Burtynsky re. Urban Scapes

Simen Johan or Ruud van Empel re. Processing and Post-Production

Most reactions

Back