Who knows the answer?

photographyfanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotographyfanatic.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok when dealing with a raw file in the camera raw software I do my initial adjustments. I then open the image and it brings me into photoshop elements. This is where I add an unsharpen mask and use noise reduction software. Then I save the image as a jpeg. My question is, if I am doing the noise reduction and ssharpening before I save as jpeg are those adjustments saved on the raw file? Should I be duplicating my raw file once in elements and then doing sharpening and noise reduction or are these adjustments not saved on the true raw file? Thanks!

You should never be 'saving' over a RAW file, or even saving a copy (If you even can).

The basic workflow is that you open the RAW file with whatever software you use...then when you make your adjustments and 'save'...it should be converting the RAW file at that point. A RAW files technically isn't a real image, it's just data (with an embedded JPEG for viewing)....it's when you convert the file, that it gets cooked and turns into an actual image file...and you usually have to specify a format; TIFF, JPEG, PSD etc.
Then you open that resulting file in Elements (or whatever) and continue you editing, saving it whatever format you like.

Before you export, all of your edits are just stored in a sidecar file (.xmp file for Lightroom). This basically just tells it what to do to the RAW upon export. The RAW itself is untouched.

...My question is, if I am doing the noise reduction and ssharpening before I save as jpeg are those adjustments saved on the raw file? Should I be duplicating my raw file once in elements and then doing sharpening and noise reduction or are these adjustments not saved on the true raw file? Thanks!

The workflow you describe (you are more than just a bit vague here) seems to be that you have some RAW conversion software (name unknown) that came with your camera (brand unknown) that you are using to do the RAW conversion and are then having that software pass the image to PS/Elements for further processing. If this is correct then the following:

1. The "edits" made in the RAW conversion software might be saved back in the RAW file or an associated "sidecar" file. One would have to know what software you are using to say with any degree of certainty.

2. Once the image has been moved to PS/E no further changes are saved back to the RAW file, period. At this point all editing is "destructive" except Adjustment Layers. Only if you save the file as a PSD will the Adjustment Layers be saved as re-adjustable layers.

The best workflows do the initial sharpening, most or all noise reduction, and almost all color, contrast, ... adjustments in the RAW converter. Once the image is in bitmap editor (e.g. PS, PS/E, ...) adjustments and edits should be limited to those operations that can't be performed in the RAW converter. Sharpening in the bitmap editor should generally be limited to final print sharpening and should be done for a specific print size after the image has been appropriately resized.

If you are doing the sharpening and noise reduction in PS/E because your camera maker's RAW converter doesn't provide the function you should look into getting a better RAW converter. If you are using the newer version of PS/E then I would suggest that you use the Camera RAW pluging for PS/E (aka ACR). This plugin provides a large amount of control and does an excellent job. The newest version can handle the RAW files from almost any digital camera out there.

ACR= Adobe Camera Raw.

You get it here. Follow the simple install directions for your version of Elements.

I have the Canon EOS 40 D and I am using the Raw editor software that came with the camera. Is that as good as ACR? I am doing the nosie reduction in Photoshop elements 7 because I use the Noiseware pro plug in. I guess my confussion is when I click open image after doing my tweeks in the raw software that came with the camera when it opens in elements, it says that the type of file is CR. So then I do noise reduction and then I save as a jpeg. Should I be saving as a jpeg before I do the noise reduction and then saving again once all the adjustments are done? If I don't save as a jpeg before doing noise reduction of the CR file, will that effect the actual raw file?

No, do the NR before you convert to JPEG.

Converting to JPEG is the very last step in the workflow.

The RAW file and the CR2 file are 2 different things. The RAW file actually can't be viewed as an image. It has to be converted to an image file and that is what the CR2 file is. Any editing you do is to the CR2 file NOT the RAW data file.

As mentioned before, all of the edit info is in a sidecar file (.xmp), the RAW data is never touched.

I recommend you read about file types, JPEG, TIFF, RAW on Wikipedia and other sources to gain a better understanding of how they work and the various pluses and minuses each has.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back