Who makes a living out of photography

dklod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this question has been asked before (a search revealed roughly every 12-18 months), but with forumites coming and going, I thought I would raise the question again and try to broaden the responses. So....

Who here makes a living souly out of photography? Do you work freelance or for a company or have a studio? Tell us your journey and how you got to where you are today. Was it hard to break into and with virtually hundreds of thousands of photographers out there, is it difficult to remain busy and get the job over the next guy or gal, particularly if you run your own business? Ever caught that perfect shot and sold it to any form of media?

thanks for asking this question dklod...

Being 14 years old, and interested in photography, I would love to know how easy it is to break into it.

thanks for asking this question dklod...

Being 14 years old, and interested in photography, I would love to know how easy it is to break into it.

No need to thank me. there are other threads that discuss it, Im just trying to get new information from some of the newer members. Just looking at the joining dates of some of the people that contribute alot to this forum, I too am interested how many do this for a living.

I am a part time freelancer.

My opinion is if you want to get into photography for the money, dont bother. There are vast numbers of photogs that eat, drink, live, and breathe photography, and have many periods in the beginning where they are paid little or nothing just to gain experience.

You can make good money doing it full time, but it depends on how good you are and how competitive you can be. Be prepared to work 16-20 hour days, and it can be at odd times of the day as well (weddings).

I do it mainly for enjoyment, and if I happen to make a few bucks on the side, bonus for me. :)

NJ

Can't say I make my living doing this, but I do bring in pretty decent income from it.... at times. I shoot freelance. Pretty much what ever I want to shoot, Weddings, portraiture/ Glamour. Also shoot stock for George Hall Code Red. ( Weather)
Started out as a stringer, but hated to be told what to shoot LOL :grumpy:

i am interested in becoming a freelance photographer as well but i dont have the professional camera, lenses ect. ect. i dont mind tho because i know im still learning and i have a lot more to learn but if anything i wud be happy with it being a part time thing for fun because really i love doing photography its almost like away to get people to see think about things the way you do or see what you see or feel

I hope to make a career out of it but this is seeming less feasable the more i read into it.

You have to be very original and still then its who you know not what you know.

Im still gonna give it a shot, its my dream so i might aswell follow it.. but as most people know dreams don't come true!

I have my own photography business. At the moment it's part-time because my other job is the housework.

I hope to make a career out of it but this is seeming less feasable the more i read into it.

You have to be very original and still then its who you know not what you know.

Im still gonna give it a shot, its my dream so i might aswell follow it.. but as most people know dreams don't come true!

this is why i dont have dreams i set goals because you can make those come true it just depends what you do and how hard you try or at least its a better way to think of things to me anyway lol

In order to make a living out of photography or anything else you have to stop dreaming about it and go do it. Many businesses fail because they're run by dreamers rather than doers.

i dont know if this book is helpful or not but it has a lot of places listed for submitting work and i was thinking about getting it i dont know maybe someone here might find it helpful to or someone here could tell me what they think about it but the book is called photographers market i skimmed through it briefly, seemed kind of useful but i dont know.

I'm starting to get business but I'm a long long long from making a living from it.

I like my day job, but considering looking for assistant experience at a studio or with a real pro to begin the move from one career to a photography one. But if I ever get the chance to quit my regular job, I'll have to make sure it's the right move as it'll be the start of a tricky road - so it'll be a difficult decision to make. And a life changing one for better or for worse.

Most reactions

Back