Who makes the cheap Film?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was in Dollarama *Canadian dollar store* and I noticed they had some $1 film that was iso 100, which seems like a good deal to me since it was probably made by kodak or fuji, and if it really is cheap, its just $1 down the drain.

So I was wondering if anyone know's who makes the cheap film. I didnt write down the name of it that was in the dollar store. Usually with the cheap stuff it is made by some brand name maker, just with a no name brand stuck on it. This isnt always the case but it is alot of the time.

When I first got into 35 mm 30 or so years ago, a friend and long time advanced amateur/part time pro with many years of experience told me "Film is the cheapest part of photography; don't skrimp on it." Whether you pay $3,4,5 for good film, less in bulk, or $1 for unknown film, the cost of processing is going to be the same. So if you use $1 film, pay $10 for processing and get mediocre prints, was it worth the $2 you saved?

I don't buy premium film, but I do stick with the reputable brands like Fuji and Kodak, depending on what I am doing. In 4-roll packs you only pay a couple of bucks a roll.

Having said that I will admit to having purchased a roll of $1 film at Dollar Tree the other day. My dad's little Olympus point and shoot was automatically rewinding after only about 15 frames. He said he wanted to just run a roll of different brand film through to see what happened. I thought he meant just sit there and waste a roll so I got the $1 roll for him. If I had realized he meant to actually take pictures with it I would have insisted he take a roll of better stuff.
FWIW,
Raymond

The only problem I can see with cheap film is if it starts to break down and degrade over time. Other than that, if the pictures turn out good, I dont see aproblem with it, since its probably made by Kodak, Fuji or Illford.

I bought a roll, I figured $1 for the film and then $3 for developing and hopeufully $3 for a photo cd isnt that bad to see how they turn out. The brand is Likon Film 100, Super, GBR100.

Im not sure how the first few pictures will turn out, its 100 iso and its over cast out so I had to use the flash to handhold the camera on some flowers.

How did your fathers pictures turn out on the cheaper film?

If you just do a little checking with the retailer you can usually find out who makes the film. In Canada at Blacks their film is made by their parent company;Fuji. I have also seen generic film made by Agfa and Konica. I would gather film at a dollar store would not be a major brand and it's a safe bet the clerks wouldn't have a clue where it comes from.

usually can tell who makes the private label film if the store has a photo lab you can see who makes the equipment they use. Usally if it is a fuji lab its fuji film, agfa etc........

But you don't have to guess on "cheap film" I get mine from BH photo video in New York. Most of their film they offer in "made for US" and International markets. Which is also known as grey market. I buy the international fuji Relea for last time i bought it less than $3 a roll for 36Exp. and that is one of their fuji's best films so you can get their standard film for even less. I have never had problems with what is called "grey market" film it works just as well.

K-Mart's Focal Film at one time was made by 3M Copr. (DynaColor) and later changed to an Italian firm. Konica, I heard, makes film for a lot of private labels.

But it's important to note - film is cheap! Better to go with a name brand. Your Dollarama film may be made by Agfa this month and Fuji the following month. $1 films are not always guarenteed to be by/from the same manufacturer with each lot and like wise may be made to different specifications.

If you're looking for INEXPENSIVE film then I would suggest you check out the following:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ and www.porters.com

There can be a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Most reactions

Back