Who Offers More, Canon or Nikon?

BAB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have read a lot of discussion on this forum about Nikon vs Canon. In addition there have been several questions posed by folks seeking advice on which system to buy. Part of the decision making process has to be lens choices, not only quality but offerings as well. Let's leave quality out here and focus on offerings. With this in mind who offers the greatest selection of DSLR compatable lenses?

Probably nikon becuase i think all manual focus lenses work on the D200 and up. not sure though, but if they do, than that means all F-mount lenses since the 1950's.

Hi, not to diminish the importance of the question, but isn't the more relevant question which has the lenses that you want or could potentially want, or is planning to produce those lenses in the near future? One might produce more lenses but not necessarily the lenses you want, so quantity isn't necessarily the most important factor.

Also bear in mind that you're not limited to the company's own lenses; Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all offer lenses for both systems, while other companies make lenses for each too (for example the new Zeiss lenses for Nikon), plus adapters can give you even more choice.

I would agree that it's probably Nikon because their compatibility goes back much farther than Canon.

Although I'm sure Canon has enough selection to satisfy just about any one's needs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. After quite a bit of reading myself, I've come to the conclusion that both Canon and Nikon are about as close as two competing companies could possibly be in terms of equipment. Plus, it would take thousands and thousands of dollars to actually buy all the lenses Canon or Nikon have available to the point where you would be looking for more to spend your money on (in which case you could go for tose $1000 tripods, flashes, editing programs, etc).

Hi, not to diminish the importance of the question, but isn't the more relevant question which has the lenses that you want or could potentially want, or is planning to produce those lenses in the near future? One might produce more lenses but not necessarily the lenses you want, so quantity isn't necessarily the most important factor.

Also bear in mind that you're not limited to the company's own lenses; Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all offer lenses for both systems, while other companies make lenses for each too (for example the new Zeiss lenses for Nikon), plus adapters can give you even more choice.

I would agree with your statement in principle, but when you decide to buy one manufacturer over the other, you are in fact buying a system. I am just thinking from the perspective of those folks who are asking "which system to buy", may not really have those needs defined. While it is true what has been said, being familiar with the Nikon line, that Nikon offers more, because all there lenses will work on their DSLR, it seems that Nikon only offers a few DSLR truly compatable lenses, meaning all components will work together. It feels like, correct me if I am wrong, that all of Canon's EF lenses are compatable with DSLR functions and Canon's EF line-up is large.

Yes, all of Canon's EF lenses have full compatibility across the EOS line. However, Canon does have EF-S lenses that are digital only...and will only work on a handful of their digital bodies.

Let's leave quality out here and focus on offerings. With this in mind who offers the greatest selection of DSLR compatable lenses?

I have never ever heard a question that strange ....

- if you do not care for quality, go shoot with a mobile phone cam (well not one of the better ones around though .. they can get rather good these days ;) )

- if you want a great selection, go win the lottery first ;) And if you did win the lottery, then go an buy a canon and a nikon dslr. since the extra you pays for the second camera body would not matter compared to money you will spend on lenses ;)

this question only makes sence when you are into some special kinds of photography, and need special lenses (like the canon tilt and shift lenses for example).
I do not want to be offensive, but if you cannot phrase that need here, then you certainly are not in need of it. If you are not in need of anything that special, then spending more thought on this matter is clearly a waste of time for you.

ok, now your question is much better defined than in the beginning.. sorry, i did not see this yet when i posted my reply.

being familiar with the Nikon line, that Nikon offers more, because all there lenses will work on their DSLR, it seems that Nikon only offers a few DSLR truly compatable lenses, meaning all components will work together. It feels like, correct me if I am wrong, that all of Canon's EF lenses are compatable with DSLR functions and Canon's EF line-up is large.

some nikomn lenses will be rather manual on a DSLR, that is true. But even if you only look at those nikon lenses which support all the current SLR's features (digital does not really is the matter here), then in my eyes there are lenses for every need. maybe there are some problems on the wide end, but they exist with canon as well, and then there is always sigma, tokina, tamron and all of that ...

maybe you should more look into such differences as if you want full frame or if you can live better with operating a nikon or a canon ...

and as for the EF-line being large .. there is so much overlap and obsolete lenses in the EF-range of Canon IMHO.

...but isn't the more relevant question which has the lenses that you want or could potentially want...

Yes, that is a much better question, unless the goal is to collect lenses. Every single major brand name (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc...) has a selection of excellent lenses that will cover 99.9% of the photographic situations that 99.9% of photographers will encounter.

An even better question to ask when deciding between the two would be: Do I want a full frame sensor? Right now only Canon offers that, although the rumor is that Nikon is getting ready to announce a full frame DSLR.

let's leave quality out here and focus on offerings. With this in mind who offers the greatest selection of DSLR compatable lenses?

indeed a strange question.....

Usually one focuses on quality of available lenses for a system not how many. Thats unless your final goal is to collect a large number of lenses. If there are lenses in a particular system that fits ALL your needs, what does it matter? Obviously, either Nikon or Canon will fit the bill with slight differences.

If you already have a significant investment in Nikon manual lenses, then go ahead and use a compatible Nikon DSLR... the choice is obvious.

With this in mind who offers the greatest selection of DSLR compatable lenses?

Well, for ones that are specifically designed for dSLR's I've read two stories:
It's Pentax (lenses are labeled DA) or its Olympus(you'll need to ask an Olympus user here). I'm not sure which is right but from what I've read its one or the other. I also might be wrong here because Canon's full frame lenses could be considered "designed" for the 5D and up.

However, I know Pentax's overall current lineup (which include other lenses that are not specifically designed for Digital) is smaller than Canon and Nikons. As well, like Nikon, Pentax dSLR's are compatible with a lot of old lenses. Anything in K-Mount will work, and that's been Pentax's mount since they dropped the M42 in the 70's.

Hey how did you all let someone sneak a Canon/Nikon debate in here I thought we have been over this over and over and over ........................

I have never ever heard a question that strange ....

- if you do not care for quality, go shoot with a mobile phone cam (well not one of the better ones around though .. they can get rather good these days ;) )

- if you want a great selection, go win the lottery first ;) And if you did win the lottery, then go an buy a canon and a nikon dslr. since the extra you pays for the second camera body would not matter compared to money you will spend on lenses ;)

this question only makes sence when you are into some special kinds of photography, and need special lenses (like the canon tilt and shift lenses for example).
I do not want to be offensive, but if you cannot phrase that need here, then you certainly are not in need of it. If you are not in need of anything that special, then spending more thought on this matter is clearly a waste of time for you.

It was a fair question that I posed because obviously the quality of the lens is important, if not paramount. I was putting quality aside so to speak not to diminish it's obvious importance, but to not to start a my lens is better than your lens diatribe, especially since Nikon and Canon are so closely matched in terms of quality. Apparently Big Mike understood the question because he gave me an answer that I was looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back