Who says mobile phones are not digital still camera's?

And cell phones aren't easy to break?
Yes they are!

They can survive a drop.
They have cases that protect them from big falls.
They have scratch resistant glass
They are thinner than DSLR's and pocket camera
They have neat pouches that clip on the belt
They are more resistant to extreme weather/moisture
They are less heavy/less form factor
Person carrying a mobile phone is a normal thing whilst carrying a big DSLR and/or a bulging pocket camera is a bit of a issue and not a normal thing you see on the road.

And yet, the percentage of cell phone users I know who have irreparably damaged their phones is MUCH higher than the percentage of DSLR owners I know who have irreparably damaged their cameras.

Ofcourse not! DSLR's are much better (I own a D5100, SB-900, P7000 etc). BUT that doesn't mean photo's taken with a good camera phone should be turned down from Nikon and its photo competitions! :grumpy: My photo's prove exactly that!

Did they give you a reason why they rejected your photo?

Question :
Hello,

I have taken some beautiful photos using my galaxy s2 gt-I9100 phone which has a 8Mp backlit Cmos sensor camera. Can I submit those to the competition?
Thank you,
Chirantha
Answer :
Dear Mr.Chirantha,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As stated in the "Submission Guideline",
we would ask you to submit your works which is shot by digital still cameras
(including medium and large-format cameras).
*The cameras are not limited to Nikon.

Therefore, we would ask you to refrain from submitting your works
which is shot by mobile phone.

So, this whole thing is just because you're ticked off that Nikon said your camera phone wasn't an "official" digital still camera. It's their contest, their rules. They can include, or exclude, any type of cameras they want to. They may have worded it a bit poorly, but it's still their right to say "yea" or "nay". I'm more surprised that they allow non-Nikon cameras than I am that they *don't* allow cell phone pics. I wouldn't get all twisted up about it--none of the pictures you've posted here were in any danger of winning anyway. They're pretty snapshots, but they are just nothing special and wouldn't have held up against some of the truly spectacular stuff a Nikon photo competition is likely to get.

If it doesn't use film, its not a proper camera. :D

And yet, the percentage of cell phone users I know who have irreparably damaged their phones is MUCH higher than the percentage of DSLR owners I know who have irreparably damaged their cameras.

Not saying a phone is a better camera, but this argument misses a key point. If people carried their DSLRs on them 24/7 like they do their phones, I'm betting you'd see a MUCH higher percentage of damaged cameras.

Not saying a phone is a better camera, but this argument misses a key point. If people carried their DSLRs on them 24/7 like they do their phones, I'm betting you'd see a MUCH higher percentage of damaged cameras.

No.

They have camera straps and camera bags for a reason.

I'm not at all satisfied with the low light quality of mobile phones. However what I'm saying is that there are certain times that you can just get away with the mobile phone for that beautiful shot.

Well of course! If you plan on keeping your prints small or only sharing online.

Nobody says you can't take an interesting photo with your phone camera. But in most light conditions it don't allow you to take technicaly good photo. I've never seen good cell photos at tricky condition in most cases they was made outside at clear sunny days (like your one). I saw here a lot of very good photos taken with P&S or cell phone cameras but in the same time they could be done better with DSLR or they couldn't be done eather if the the light conditions wasn't so good.

P.S. Nice shoot. If you have oportunity to photograph such landscapes do it with DSLR.

It all depends on the cell phone being used. I love my HTC One S! It's there in a pinch when I don't have my D90 or FM2. That being said I would still rather use my D90 or FM2, lol. As I do love the shot below I would love to retake with my DSLR and some proper off camera lighting!

7747416198_34e2c4d06f_c.jpg

I wasn't making that argument in regards to the entire debate, just THIS point:

These layouts don't last for a long time, at most 60 seconds because of the upper wind. So by the time I take out the camera from a bag and set up for the shot, the shot will be long gone! Also DSLR's are easy to break and expensive to repair and odd to carry. Which is why a good mobile camera is really important.

I'd just contend that a DSLR is NOT easier to break than a cell phone--harder in fact, because cell phones are not really built to last.

I wasn't making that argument in regards to the entire debate, just THIS point:

These layouts don't last for a long time, at most 60 seconds because of the upper wind. So by the time I take out the camera from a bag and set up for the shot, the shot will be long gone! Also DSLR's are easy to break and expensive to repair and odd to carry. Which is why a good mobile camera is really important.

I'd just contend that a DSLR is NOT easier to break than a cell phone--harder in fact, because cell phones are not really built to last.

I've shattered 3 phones gorilla glass screens in the past 8 months......

All from falls that were less than 12 inches.....

You'll find that a DSLR user would not be in that position, if there's a good photo in the offing the camera will be out, with an appropraite lens on and set ready for the conditions. When I'm out and about I like to have my camera ready to capture images of birds on the wing and it's perectly capable of going from switch on-up to eye-adjust exposure-focus-shoot in time to get the shot I want, DSLRs are not slow.

If mobile phone cameras are your thing then cool, go with it. I'm pretty sure you'll not convince a DSLR user that a phone is better though.;)
Ofcourse not! DSLR's are much better (I own a D5100, SB-900, P7000 etc). BUT that doesn't mean photo's taken with a good camera phone should be turned down from Nikon and its photo competitions! :grumpy:
They can have any rules they want, whether you like it or not.

My photo's prove exactly that!
No. Sorry to be blunt, but they do not. Your photos are not competition-worthy. They are boring and trite and banal, and deletion would be easy and painless for nearly anyone here.

My photo's prove exactly that!

To me the prove they opposite - they show why Nikon don't want entries from camera phones - they don't want millions of identical photos of the sea from everyone that's been to the beach and had their phone with them. I'm not saying your photos are terrible, but I'm pretty sure everyone at the beach that day with a camera phone could take something similar -- ok, yours shows some considderation to rules of composition with the horison 1/3rd of the way up, rather than across the middle, but really, that's not going to make it a winner.

You've got to remember that every entry needs to be looked at, however briefly, which takes manpower, which costs money. Opening it up to everyone that owns a camera phone and can point it at the sea / their girlfriend / famous local landmark would probably cost them a fortune to go through. Every photo they look at that isn't a winner if effectively a waste of time, so why open it up to huge numbers of non-winners, the majority of who aren't going to be 'photographers' (pro or hobby) and will have no clue at all?

Imagine every person in london (just over 8 million) sending them near identical, unimaginative photos of tower bridge, and everyone in NY (also just over 8 million) sending them near idendical unimaginative photos of the empire state building, repeat for every large population centre with some famous landmarks..... it'd cost them a fortune, and the suicide rate amongst judges would staggering!

Last edited:
Cell phone cameras are definitely convenient and a very small few are worth admiring over. And Nikon most likely declined your entry to politely tell you your photo sucks... j/k.

Just an interesting side note. Has anyone seen pics printed from a cell phone capture?

Yesterday, I was at the local camera store and asked the owner if he had anyone that got some phone pics printed. Luckily he had and he allowed me to see them. The photos were only printed 8 x 10, all 3 of the pics were soft and almost pixelated at that small size.

I do use my iPhone to take snaps or use it for work when I need to show something quickly for approval, I work in the oil patch so my work has nothing to do with photography. I personally have no delusions of my iPhone being a proper camera that I can use for proper photographic purposes. Images that look good on the web do not necessarily look good in print.

OP,

Since even low end point and shoots will outperform the average phone camera (Image Quality)... I would much prefer a low end point and shoot to any Phone Camera!

Since ANY DSLR will far outperform any Point and Shoot... I would always take the DSLR over a point and shoot.

If size and convenience are more important to you than Image Quality, fine.. use your phone! But don't expect it to win any contests with competent judging, when competing with images from DSLR's.

I am sure there are contests for phone images out there... I would suggest those. I am sure that Mattel, Hasbro or somebody will sponsor one......

Most reactions

Back