Who says mobile phones are not digital still camera's?

Nobody says you can't take an interesting photo with your phone camera. But in most light conditions it don't allow you to take technicaly good photo. I've never seen good cell photos at tricky condition in most cases they was made outside at clear sunny days (like your one). I saw here a lot of very good photos taken with P&S or cell phone cameras but in the same time they could be done better with DSLR or they couldn't be done eather if the the light conditions wasn't so good.

P.S. Nice shoot. If you have oportunity to photograph such landscapes do it with DSLR.

It all depends on the cell phone being used. I love my HTC One S! It's there in a pinch when I don't have my D90 or FM2. That being said I would still rather use my D90 or FM2, lol. As I do love the shot below I would love to retake with my DSLR and some proper off camera lighting!

7747416198_34e2c4d06f_c.jpg

Nice image... this would be worth duplicating with a DSLR!

$IMG_20130203_122300.jpg$2013-02-04 10.11.21.jpg$IMG_20130203_120851.jpg$2013-02-04 10.12.23.jpg
The're shot by a low-priced Chinese-made smart phone,what do you think of the picture quality.

I think they're so small that picture quality is almost irrelevant.. All you can see at this size is composition and colours

Last edited:
well first off, they can't be 100% crops unless your originals were verily heavily cropped - at 664 pixels wide your crops should be showing 1/5th of the frame in each dimension, not nearly half as you have an 8mp camera in that phone, secondly, while they're not bad for a camera phone, they're far worse than any DSLR

a 100% 664px crop should show about this much (but bigger, obviously)

$Untitled-1.jpg

I find it amusing that some people enter a contest that has rules then try to bend the rules to suit there own agenda .... why bother enter at all.... find a cell phone photo contest instead

1)The originals of first and the third picture are cropped in order to show macro effects.
2)I never say that a cell phone is better than or comparable to the DSLR.
3)If you print them out in 4R size, 'Far worse' is inaccurate.
4)A photo with good picture quality doesn't mean that it is a good shot. I think we all talking about whether a cell phone can take a good shot rather than with picture quality or not. As jack337's photo, it may not with good picture quality, but it impress others. So do you think good picture quality is really so much important in a photo?

Last edited:
My cellphone camera is the one that we use to capture special moments and scenery. I'm quite happy with the results of the photo clear and crisp. But I would not mind getting a DSLR as a birthday present :)

Yes they are!

They can survive a drop. - So can a DSLR
They have cases that protect them from big falls. - So do DSLRs
They have scratch resistant glass - See above
They are thinner than DSLR's and pocket camera - easier to drop than a DSLR due to size.
They have neat pouches that clip on the belt - I have a neat strap that hangs my DSLR around where my belt is.
They are more resistant to extreme weather/moisture - Uh, not really.
They are less heavy/less form factor - Potential for dropping, increased
Person carrying a mobile phone is a normal thing whilst carrying a big DSLR and/or a bulging pocket camera is a bit of a issue and not a normal thing you see on the road. - this doesn't even make sense or matter. I carry my DSLR as much as I carry my phone.

If I ever need to take a photo of myself in a mirror or what I am having for lunch I will reach for my phone.

1)The originals of first and the third picture are cropped in order to show macro effects.
2)I never say that a cell phone is better than or comparable to the DSLR.
3)If you print them out in 4R size, 'Far worse' is inaccurate.
4)A photo with good picture quality doesn't mean that it is a good shot. I think we all talking about whether a cell phone can take a good shot rather than with picture quality or not. As jack337's photo, it may not with good picture quality, but it impress others. So do you think good picture quality is really so much important in a photo?

Picture quality is only relevant to print quality needed and how the image will be viewed.

If the image is only going to be viewed on a phone, in small print or online than it is not that important unless you look at image at 100% instead of 5 to 10 feet back. Which is the same aspects to images printed from any system.

I could print HUGE with my D90, or a D40, with the intentions of the image being viewed from 20-30 and no one would notice the lack of image quality till they stepped too close.

If an image needs to be tack sharp, or you want it to be, all the way till your nose touches the print then so be it, buy into MF/LF film and digital backs.

Is OP arguing the point "cell phone cams are acceptable for quality images"? I'm on the lost train =)

Is OP arguing the point "cell phone cams are acceptable for quality images"? I'm on the lost train =)

Until my cell phone can work with my pocket wizards I consider it useless.

Most reactions

Back