Who the hell is Illah?

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
I'll try and keep it short.

I live in San Francisco and went to film school out there. Stops, exposure, metering, white balance, etc. doesn't scare me. However, I'm still pretty new to still photography. Don't tell my former classmates, but I like still photography better than motion photography :)

So while I know the basics, the techniques are all new to me. I'm especially lost with flashes. All of my lighting experience involves 350W-2000W lights (sometimes even bigger ones) modified with scrims, flags, gels, and diffusers. Good news is I'm well familiar with those concepts, as well as bouncing and all that. Just a little lost with the whole flash system.

My favorite 'art' photography is delapidated buildings and locations. Something about them just appeals to me. Old warehouses, buildings, parts of town, etc. I also like 'minimalist' pics without a lot of 'stuff' going on. See the attached pics for an example.

Other than that I want to take club / nightlife / concert photos, and I also like landscape photography and other nature type stuff. For the most part I don't like pictures of people. Don't know why, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd still like to develop that skill though even if only for pics of family and friends for the scrapbook.

--Illah

broken-windows.jpg

roof.jpg

Illah, welcome to TPF. Glad to have you aboard.

Sure enough: Who The Hell is Illah!?

Now we know! :D
Welcome to ThePhotoForum! :D
Good to have you on board.
Sounds like you have all the knowledge --- which I am lacking completely, being an alltime learning-by-doing-learner without any photo-class background whatsoever. And I still like taking photos (most of all WITHOUT the use of flash... sorry about that ;)).

Hi Illah, welcome to TPF!!

Modern flash units are pretty straight-forward. Reading the manual is a must, though. Trying to guess what dial does what can result in frustration. With your understanding of lighting for film, you'll probably want a flash unit that can be used hand-held off-camera as well as on. Read a bit, look a bit, ask where stumped. Then go for it.

And welcome.

Welcome to TPF!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back