Who was your photo-Yoda?

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who taught you what you know about photography? A family member? Teacher? Friend? Tell us how you learned and who you learned from. My friend John taught me how to expose, develop, and print. Initially, he kept it basic. But as I learned more, he went into the more technical aspects of it. He recommended an AE1 as my first 35mm. He showed me how to use my first MF camera, a late 50's Yashica TLR.(the guy seems to have memorized the manual for every camera ever made.:lol:) When I got my RB67, I knew how to use it because he let me use his already. He got me going with my 4X5. When I think back on the hours I spent shooting with John or in his darkroom, talking, listening to music, and learning, I realize how lucky I am to have such a good friend and teacher.

I learned Photography on my own.

The closest thing to a mentor I had was Ansel Adams ... more like his three books - Camera, Negative, and Print.

I did later on take a course to have access to equipment.

Give yourself 1-2 years... dedicate a minimum of 2 hours a day, minimum 5 days a week. Thats the basics right there.

Now, add to that fierce research in the form of a ton of extra hours, tens of thousands of pictures spent on specific focused practice, the internet, thousands of dollars in equipment, books and then add more by surrounding yourself with REAL LIVE PEOPLE who are experienced photographers and pick up every scrap of info and use it before making a choice to discard it or archive it... and you will basically have my system.

In other words, I'm pretty much self-taught as well.

This forum :lol:. Really self taught, with some help from you guys as too camera equipment.

krap... i had a few... in grade school i took my first photo class.... dont remember the teachers name, then in highschool I talked my art teacher into showing me the darkroom and some other stuff. But finally in collage at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh I learned from some great photographers/people. Tom Donally was a hard core oldschool photographer rough around the edges, he would strive to make students cry (he actually told me that was a way of weeding out the kids that where just there to have fun) he tought me commercial photographer with the 4x5 camera and was a great guy. He passed away last year. Then there was Berry Lavery he showed me the strings of Journalistic photography and nature photography, also a great guy and good to have on camping trips. My other fav. was Brian Colkitt he tought me the way of portrait photography and artistic nudes. They where all great instructors and people, and not to mention drinkin buddies. I know there are more I should mention but those are probably my tops.

Two of my teachers, google and most importantly this forum :D. I learned a lot about Post Processing from my teachers and how to get addicted to photography and spend my money on equipment from TPF lol.

Well my grnadpa got me started. He gave me my first camera an old 120. He gave me some basics on shooting through ground glass. Then my aunt who used to teach photgraphy at Michigan State. They mostly gave me tips and, let me learn on my own for the most part.

So far its been mostly teachers. Ive had two teachers so far that have really taught me a good amount, and i will continue to learn from them. Im also starting to learn more off of the other students in my classes, we are constantly bouncing ideas off eachother, and giving feedback.

For me it all started in high school , my best friend got me to take photography class at school and it was all over from there on. Me and my friend ended up being the teacher's right hand men when it came to teaching other students. At the time we only did B & W but the teacher started teaching the 2 of us how to do color. I started with a Nikon FE that my dad had given me to use. To this day I still have that camera and it still takes awsome shots.

A photographer must walk both sides of the Force.
The light side when taking the photo
and the dark side when editing the photo.

Thus the photographer walks always in the grey

For me I am still looking for my "yoda". Till I find Yoda I do my best learning through trial and error and through the advice of people on forums - like here :)

A photographer must walk both sides of the Force.
The light side when taking the photo
and the dark side when editing the photo.

Thus the photographer walks always in the grey

For me I am still looking for my "yoda". Till I find Yoda I do my best learning through trial and error and through the advice of people on forums - like here :)

Agreed^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My photography instructor in school I guess, back in '92-'93. I can only remember his first name was Frank..

edit: just remembered his last name, Carter.. Frank Carter

Last edited:
my old man has a nikkormat and a collection of lenses. He got me started and then highschool and college classes. Then get married and have a kiddo and forget things enough to have to quasi startover. bugger

Most reactions

New Topics

Back