Who will by the Nikon Z9?

The major camera companies release new models just before the Olympics and this is Nikon's entry. Maybe I'll buy one after the independent reviews are out, but at the rumored $6 to $7k, it would really have to be THE best camera ever made in it's class. Then there's the cost of new Z glass. What I'm really watching for is the announcement for next generation D850 and D500 as I have a lot more money in Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron dslr glass than I do in 4 Nikon dslr bodies.

Im curious, they keep telling me the switch to mirrorless will make all cameras and photography better, but how will it be better if i cant afford the camera body or the new lenses?

Better is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I would love the blazing frame rates a mirrorless can deliver but I know many don't care about that.
As much as I love shiny, new stuff, the harsh realities of economics will keep me from buying one anytime soon.

i got my D7500 used and factory refurbished. It seems that is the biggest seller for cameras on bh or adorama...

Its even worse if you NEED to have an optical view finder like i do

Im curious, they keep telling me the switch to mirrorless will make all cameras and photography better, but how will it be better if i cant afford the camera body or the new lenses?

I've posted before that IMHO making great images is: 75% knowledge of photography and knowledge of your gear, planning (subject matter, light, composition), technique and luck; 15% PP software capability and skills; 10% camera and lens as long at they are at an acceptable minimum quality level and the newer smart phone cameras meet and exceed this threshold. Yes, dynamic range, SNR, low light performance, tonal range, resolution and AF systems have improved incrementally since the landmark release of the D800 in March 2012 and will continue to do so, but it's only 10% of making great images. So, if you don't want to take out a 2nd mortgage for the latest and greatest body and glass, don't feel defeated and continue making great images with what you've got.

Last edited:
This is the most in-depth assessment of the upcoming Z9

The major camera companies release new models just before the Olympics and this is Nikon's entry. Maybe I'll buy one after the independent reviews are out, but at the rumored $6 to $7k, it would really have to be THE best camera ever made in it's class. Then there's the cost of new Z glass. What I'm really watching for is the announcement for next generation D850 and D500 as I have a lot more money in Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron dslr glass than I do in 4 Nikon dslr bodies.

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of this.

I'll make the jump eventually, but with that price point, it's going to have future-proof me for a while. Also looking to see what will replace the D850.

Because it doesn't.
TATTRAT up there won the photo of the month contest with a drone image. And nobody noticed. Drone cameras aren't remotely as good as a Pentax K5 DSLR. Much less the very high end Nikon glass.
This DESERVED win in and of itself should prove that it's not the camera.

Another example: 1-2/3 tiny drone sensor far less capable than Spaceface's 50MP Canon/Beast with premium glass.
Or my Lowly E-M1x MFT Olympus with premium glass.
It's what you know. Not what you use.
TsIU6nP.jpg

Last edited:
Because it doesn't.
TATTRAT up there won the photo of the month contest with a drone image. And nobody noticed. Drone cameras aren't remotely as good as a Pentax K5 DSLR. Much less the very high end Nikon glass.
This DESERVED win in and of itself should prove that it's not the camera.

Another example: 1-2/3 tiny drone sensor far less capable than Spaceface's 50MP Canon/Beast with premium glass.
Or my Lowly E-M1x MFT Olympus with premium glass.
It's what you know. Not what you use.
TsIU6nP.jpg
that image seems off to me, the bottom left section of field just doesnt seem to correlate with the rest of the image in color or brightness.

that image seems off to me, the bottom left section of field just doesnt seem to correlate with the rest of the image in color or brightness.

Yes I realize that this is social media where everyone gets a trophy and you're forced by threat of losing your job while being un-personed and cancelled if you do not go with the herd.
That is why I decided to reply to this , without replying to this.
Have a great day.
PS- Congratulations - you got your first " Like."

Last edited:
My current gear is more than I need. I am not a fan boy of anything or a shill like that Tony youtube guy above. All I want in a camera is the aperture ring, shutter dial, and a 100% viewfinder. I hope the Z9 is the greatest camera on the market and gets Nikon back on track, moving forward.

I've posted before that IMHO making great images is: 75% knowledge of photography and knowledge of your gear, planning (subject matter, light, composition), technique and luck; 15% PP software capability and skills; 10% camera and lens as long at they are at an acceptable minimum quality level and the newer smart phone cameras meet and exceed this threshold. Yes, dynamic range, SNR, low light performance, tonal range, resolution and AF systems have improved incrementally since the landmark release of the D800 in March 2012 and will continue to do so, but it's only 10% of making great images. So, if you don't want to take out a 2nd mortgage for the latest and greatest body and glass, don't feel defeated and continue making great images with what you've got.

Yup, Ansel Adams used a basic, no frills camera.

So much cynicism from members on the Z9. It's for those who need a professional mirrorless camera. I'm encouraged that Nikon is stepping up their game.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back