Who works outside in the heat? And has it affected your desire to shoot?

Dealing with 110+ F in the desert last summer, it really wasn't that bad so long as you drank a TON of water. I'm not talking about these puny half-liter (16.9 oz) bottles you buy from the grocery store, I'm talking about a 3 liter CamelBak being drunk through in 3 - 4 hours easy.

I don't really feel dry heat - but living through a Washington DC summer, I get it that the humidity really gets to ya (no humidity in the desert FTW!). All I can really recommend is that CamelBak, fill it every day and at least drink through it once. Keep it on your back at all times even indoors (on the floor is OK if you're sitting at a desk) and DRINK DRINK DRINK whenever you get even REMOTELY thirsty. I went down to the Mall on the 4th of July in DC to photograph the fireworks, I wore a long sleeved black shirt, slacks, sneakers, a light coat in case of rain, and a 2L CamelBak that I refilled halfway through the day from a water fountain at the local university. Never felt better, was never tired or out of energy or anything and I got through the day just fine.

Water is healthy for you too - drink a lot and it helps your health somehow. What I do know though is, if your urine isn't clear then you aren't drinking enough water :lol: so drink a TON of water! CamelBaks are a life saver. hydration-packs - CamelBak.com They're marketed for bikers, outdoors people, military, etc. but IMO it's essential for the urban adventurer as well.

(I'll admit I'm 18 though, so maybe youth has something to do with it but I'm not fit by far either so I think it cancels out).

I don't really work outside, but I feel the heat.

I spend my days in a non-climate controlled hangar. We don't have the sun beatting down on us, but it does get pretty hot in there. I just drink a lot of water. Probably about 5 liters a day.

I think it has affected my photography. When I get home, all I want to do is have a few beers and sit on the couch, or in front of the computer.

Dealing with 110+ F in the desert last summer, it really wasn't that bad so long as you drank a TON of water. I'm not talking about these puny half-liter (16.9 oz) bottles you buy from the grocery store, I'm talking about a 3 liter CamelBak being drunk through in 3 - 4 hours easy.

I don't really feel dry heat - but living through a Washington DC summer, I get it that the humidity really gets to ya (no humidity in the desert FTW!). All I can really recommend is that CamelBak, fill it every day and at least drink through it once. Keep it on your back at all times even indoors (on the floor is OK if you're sitting at a desk) and DRINK DRINK DRINK whenever you get even REMOTELY thirsty. I went down to the Mall on the 4th of July in DC to photograph the fireworks, I wore a long sleeved black shirt, slacks, sneakers, a light coat in case of rain, and a 2L CamelBak that I refilled halfway through the day from a water fountain at the local university. Never felt better, was never tired or out of energy or anything and I got through the day just fine.

Water is healthy for you too - drink a lot and it helps your health somehow. What I do know though is, if your urine isn't clear then you aren't drinking enough water :lol: so drink a TON of water! CamelBaks are a life saver. hydration-packs - CamelBak.com They're marketed for bikers, outdoors people, military, etc. but IMO it's essential for the urban adventurer as well.

(I'll admit I'm 18 though, so maybe youth has something to do with it but I'm not fit by far either so I think it cancels out).

you may like to have a read at this...
your risking your life by drinking so much water... litterally

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill: Scientific American
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Why is too much water dangerous?
How Much Water Should You Drink?
Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous

too much water causes water intoxication which causes hypothermia which can kill...

Is there cause for alarm? The British Dietetic Association guidelines state that an average adult should consume 2.5 litres of water per day. This intake needs to be increased during periods of hot weather or during and after periods of physical activity.
That's about 3 quarts of water per day if you are not active and it's not hot out. Increase your activity and the heat, increase your water.

This is the information that we went with in the Army. Never had anyone go down for heat injury if we followed it.
U.S. Army HOOAH 4 HEALTH - Sustaining Health and Performance in the Heat

• [FONT=Arial, Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]
    [*] The work/rest times and fluid replacement volumes will sustain performance and hydration for at least 4 hours of work in the specified heat category. Individual water needs will vary ±¼ qt/hr.
    [*] NL = no limit to work time per hour.
    [*] Rest means minimal physical activity (sitting or standing), accomplished in the shade if possible.
    [*] CAUTION: Hourly fluid intake should not exceed 1½ quarts.
    [*] Daily fluid intake should not exceed 12 quarts.
    [*] Wearing body armor adds 5°F to WBGT Index.
    [*] Wearing MOPP overgarment adds 10°F to WBGT Index.
    [/FONT]

MOPP gear is a heavy carbon lined over-garment. Think of this as insulated cover-all's. It's the military's chemical environment suit.

Last edited:

you may like to have a read at this...
your risking your life by drinking so much water... litterally

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill: Scientific American
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Why is too much water dangerous?
How Much Water Should You Drink?
Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous

too much water causes water intoxication which causes hypothermia which can kill...

Not "hypothermia", "hyponatremia". The two are distinctly different from one another. It's a problem easily corrected by drinking sane amounts of water in one go (e.g. not gulping a litre or two of water in a single sitting), and adding salts to that water. Actually, a saline solution is far better for hydration than straight-up water because it also replaces the salts lost via perspiration and reduces the risk of hyponatremia. (Of course we're talking about a very, very mild saline solution here. Too much salt and you won't be hydrating, but dehydrating and just making yourself sick with salt water.)

I'm not talking about choking down 3L of water all in one go - with a CamelBak, you just take a draught or two every so often. Of course, if your body tells you to stop you shouldn't be drinking any more! But you will find that it's pretty easy to go through a 3L CamelBak over the course of a whole day if you actually pay attention to your thirst, even if it's not that hot outside.

Keep in mind, the desert heat I was talking about, wasn't just a few beads of sweat here and there. It was a good layer of water sitting on my arms and face. Not drinking that much water would've been grounds for dehydration and heat stroke - I was able to gulp down a 1.5L bottle of water in one go with ease, but there's no way in hell I could do that in 80 F heat.

The people who die from hyponatremia or whatever it is are the people who gulp down liters and liters of water, even past when their body tells them to stop, and then don't go to the bathroom to pass along excess. See: Woman dies after holding pee for Wii and electrolytes can be refueled by a simple mid-day snack.

Just moved to the ocean. Heat is not a factor. When I lived in the desert. We often shot in my studio garage. The heat was crippling. Ruthie or the AD would constantly be wiping the model down. My piece of poo Speedotron would over heat in minutes.

To rectify the situation we devised a cooling system for the Speedo. The model, AD, and I and Ruthie would just suffer through it. Long story short nothing prevents me from shooting. Depends on how much you want it. It is very easy to say "I can't", but I think you are stronger then that.

Love & Bass

Homemade air conditioner :D

Do that and drill holes in random places (just small ones so some water drips through thus spitting water everywhere, but not allot... only problem is if you decide to turn it off then the water keeps going but you just stop the syphen process i guess)

Just moved to the ocean. Heat is not a factor. When I lived in the desert. We often shot in my studio garage. The heat was crippling. Ruthie or the AD would constantly be wiping the model down. My piece of poo Speedotron would over heat in minutes.

To rectify the situation we devised a cooling system for the Speedo. The model, AD, and I and Ruthie would just suffer through it. Long story short nothing prevents me from shooting. Depends on how much you want it. It is very easy to say "I can't", but I think you are stronger then that.

Love & Bass

How'd you cool the Speedlite? I've had overheating problems on mine when the ambient temperature is high (like at parties).

Actually it is a Speedotron Brownline 800D unit not a Speedlite. We had ice packs from our coolers near near the bottom with fans blowing up. Worked well, but took a while.

Love & Bass

Ah, misread that. My bad. >.< (Reading The Hotshoe Diaries right now; all I can think of are Speedlights. :lol: At least it got me to learn how to control ETTL on a flash manually in the EOS flash system; too bad I have to sacrifice a flash to do it. :-/ )

In the fall, everyone is busting ass to get things done before winter sets in, and it's nothing to put in 100+ hour weeks.

Cripes! That's pretty scary.

Unfortunately, the scariest parts are usually the drives to & from the sites when tired....
Yeah I did 100 hour weeks when I first got into the concretepumping business for the first year. That was in Charlotte and, I hated the humidity, which is why I moved back to Az. Right now I would be glad for a nice 60 hour week, The heat doesnt affect me much up here on the mountain for us if it hits 90°F that is considered a heat wave it is mostly in the mid 80°s. But sometimes I have to go off the mountain and hit the Verde Valley and, Sedona which hit 100°. The worst is Kingman and, Bullhead City where it gets to the 110°+ mark. The rez is hot too near 100°. That is the only time I get affected.

Cripes! That's pretty scary.

Unfortunately, the scariest parts are usually the drives to & from the sites when tired....
Yeah I did 100 hour weeks when I first got into the concretepumping business for the first year. That was in Charlotte and, I hated the humidity, which is why I moved back to Az. Right now I would be glad for a nice 60 hour week, The heat doesnt affect me much up here on the mountain for us if it hits 90°F that is considered a heat wave it is mostly in the mid 80°s. But sometimes I have to go off the mountain and hit the Verde Valley and, Sedona which hit 100°. The worst is Kingman and, Bullhead City where it gets to the 110°+ mark. The rez is hot too near 100°. That is the only time I get affected.

Our company owns 6 pumps, so I know what those hours can be like.

Case in point to my original post...last Monday I worked all day, went home & ate dinner, took a quick shower, packed a lunch and then worked all night on a bridge deck pour to 5:30am. I then shot over to another pour that started @ 6:30am and went all day.....almost 36 hours straight for all that.

Worked a normal schedule the rest of the week, and then found out on Thursday evening that we are involved in the latest "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (interview of by boss: Extreme Makeover volunteers work throughout the night), So I worked most of the day Saturday, all Saturday night, and most of the day Sunday. It was a really cool experience, but I am freakin' whupped.

Ohhhh! You were pumping winterset mix this time of year. How fast did they want it to set? Anytime I have had to pump accelerated mud in the summer the clean up was a pain. And you guys are that busy u there? Right now our work is sporadic.

Ohhhh! You were pumping winterset mix this time of year. How fast did they want it to set? Anytime I have had to pump accelerated mud in the summer the clean up was a pain. And you guys are that busy u there? Right now our work is sporadic.

It was well beyond a winter-set. They wanted to strip the footings and begin setting wall forms within 2 hours. We poured the walls about 5 hours after the footings. It was a very accelerated mix, using 3% calcium on top of 900# of cement.....Yes, the pump operator was very nervous.

We aren't as busy as we would like....hardly anybody is, but we really can't complain. There are a few companies in the area that have closed up, so that helps us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back