WHOO! New camera on the way!

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just received an unexpected check in the mail! That means I get my new camera NOW! WHOO!

I'm torn, though. My mind tells me that I should get the Elan7n and the new 50mm 1.4 USM lens I've been planning, and other glass with the money I don't spend on the body. I mean, it's in the lens, not the body! However, my camera lust tells me "EOS-3... EOS-threeee you know you waaaaannnnntttt it!"

Just in case I even think about going for the EOS-3, someone please tell me that I want the Elan. If you tell me that I really do want the EOS-3, please tell me why?

Is it really worth that much more? I mean, three to four times as much? I'm not a pro, nowhere close to it; it's just that I've waaaay outgrown the Rebel kit. Like, last year.

So.... yeah. :scratch:

Mmkay.
The Rebel:
-It's too light
-The autofocus is too slow
-It's ugly
-The AF assist lamp is annoying and cannot be shut off (except by going into manual focus or with a bit of electrical tape, which leaves a sticky residue)
-The viewfinder is too small (not sure the Elan has a larger one, but I'll gripe, too, if it doesn't)
-The Rebel has only one wheel for everything... I want separate controls for shutter and aperture (I shoot almost entirely in manual)
-The AF on the Rebel frequently and randomly searches for focus just as I'm ready to take a shot (okay, it's not that frequent, but it's annoying when it does) The elan lets you delegate this to a button other than the shutter release
-No DOF Preview
-Elan has more autofocus points (more is better? Probably not, but whatevers)
-Rebel flash sync entirely too slow
-Mirror lockup-Rebel doesn't have it.
-Rebel: noisy film wind
-Slow film wind
-Elan: More viewfinder info (convenience)
-DIOPTER CORRECTION! OMG! You have NO idea....

There's just too much to list. Not all of these things are necessesary all the time, of course, or even very frequently, but when I want and/or need them, the Rebel simply doesn't measure up. Don't get me wrong: the Rebel is a great camera, for what it is. And what it is is a cheap, entry-level 35mm SLR. Not a thing in the world wrong with that. Glad I got it, or I'd've never got into photography in the first place... it'd still be on my list of things to do before I die. Now, however, I'm a little more into it, and it's limiting.

Even the AE-1P I've got is sometimes less frustrating than the Rebel (usually, actually, except that I'm forever forgetting to advance the film!) So, yeah. Do I need to upgrade? No. Of course not. It's the photographer, and the glass, not the body. On the other hand, I'd rather drive a firebird than a dump truck. And I've driven both, so I know. ;)

The reason why I ask is that the reasons for wanting a new camera really determine if the extra $$$ for the EOS 3 is worth it to ~you~.

-It's too light
Some would see this as an advantage.. some not... EOS 3 is heavier. I personally like it heavy with a vertical grip. I tend to shoot a lot in portrait.

-The autofocus is too slow
Elan and 3 will faster... Elan will have a bit more difficulty in low light... then you blind people with the focus assist. Low-light.. use a flash to assist with AF.

-It's ugly
IMO, ELAN's body looks sleeker than the 3 but who really cares

-The AF assist lamp is annoying and cannot be shut off (except by going into manual focus or with a bit of electrical tape, which leaves a sticky residue)
AF assist lamp shouldn't come when used with a Canon dedicated flash such as the 420EX. IIRC the Elan7 does the same thing... whats funnier is that my older Elan II doesn't. EOS 3 doesn't have a built-in flash.

-The viewfinder is too small (not sure the Elan has a larger one, but I'll gripe, too, if it doesn't)
I don't recall the Elan 7 being much larger to tell you the truth

-The Rebel has only one wheel for everything... I want separate controls for shutter and aperture (I shoot almost entirely in manual)
7 and 3 will suite this need.

-The AF on the Rebel frequently and randomly searches for focus just as I'm ready to take a shot (okay, it's not that frequent, but it's annoying when it does) The elan lets you delegate this to a button other than the shutter release.

-No DOF Preview
Elan 7 and 3 does..

-Elan has more autofocus points (more is better? Probably not, but whatevers)
... and the EOS 3 has even more. 45 total... IMO a bit overkill.

-Rebel flash sync entirely too slow
Older Rebel's sync'd at 1/90 and newer ones have the same as the Elan 7 at 1/125. No idea if your have the older Rebel or not. Eos 3 syncs to 1/200.

-Mirror lockup-Rebel doesn't have it.
My Elan II has mirror lockup so the Elan 7 probably does too.

-Rebel: noisy film wind
-Slow film wind
IIRC the Elan 7 and 3 has both fast and slow (silent) film rewind.

-Elan: More viewfinder info (convenience)
Yes... this is a big one in my opinion. eos 3 too....

-DIOPTER CORRECTION! OMG! You have NO idea....
I'm near-sighted so I keep my glasses on all the time and the diopter at 0.

What I was looking for in regards to the EOS 3 would be...
Weather sealing
Better build quality
Ruggedness, durability, reliability
Center Spot meter < big reason for me.
Better AF
faster fps ( with booster )
1/8000 shutter
Brighter much larger viewfinder.

I'd save the cash and stick with the Elan 7 (7e if you want eye-control). Put the cash to first a flash (with built in IR focus assist) or to some nice glass. For a flash, I'd recommend sticking to the Canon's EX line that supports Ettl for a possible future with a Canon DSLR.

I would go with the Eos-3. As a nice, more pro targeted cam its going to be all-around better and built like a tank. I didn't appreciate my Eos-1 until I used a digital rebel. Higher end canons are just so much nicer to use.

How much do Eos-3s cost? You might also want to look into the Eos-1n

BTW... if you still have your mind set on the EOS 3 and don't really need the eye-control function, you should really check out (as in going to a local store and hold it in your hands) the 1v. A good conditioned used 1v will be just below a brand new EOS 3. The difference can felt...

darin3200 said:
I would go with the Eos-3. As a nice, more pro targeted cam its going to be all-around better and built like a tank. I didn't appreciate my Eos-1 until I used a digital rebel. Higher end canons are just so much nicer to use.

How much do Eos-3s cost? You might also want to look into the Eos-1n

That was my point... he didn't mention those things in his post. I too would go with the EOS-3 but I'd do it for the faster shutter and better meter w/ spot.. which were also not mentioned in his posting.

The weather sealing would be nice, but as I understand it, it only applies with L series lenses, which I can only dream of affording. Plus, I don't shoot much in the rain, although dust can be a concern, and I recently had an insect in my viewfinder.

The build quality, durability, ruggedness, and reliability have all been pretty good for the Rebel. It's only been dropped a couple of times, and only one time was it I who dropped it, so I don't anticipate that being a problem.

The AF also has been pretty good, except that sometimes it wanders. I've heard mixed reviews of the eye control, so I think I'll skip it for now.

Frames per second.... sometimes 1 isn't enough, but I think 4 will usually be. In any case, it's a big step up. Plus, the booster just adds more to the price tag (yeah, I know they're handy)
1/8000 second shutter... I very, very rarely use anything much faster than 1/500 to 1/750 second, so I don't perceive this as much of an issue.

So, for the center spot meter (which I'd absolutely LOVE but I've learned to live without--or rather, never learned to live with and therefore can't miss) and the bigger, brighter viewfinder.... I can't justify an extra $500 (or 600, since I'm buying this one used). Considering that the upgrade will only be about $30 more than I originally paid for the Rebel kit (it's a GII, BTW), and I already have lenses for it, seems that it's the way to go--which is what I really knew all along. The viewfinder aspect is also offset by the rather dismal viewfinder of the Rebel GII... either the Elan7 or EOS 3 will be a step up, so I can't be disappointed.

So, I'll invest in glass. I'm slowly replacing my collection with fast primes, and the 50 is already on its way.

Thanks for the replies!

The camera came in the mail yesterday. I didn't think the post office here delivered on Saturdays, but I thought I'd check just in case. I opened up the box and stared... grabbed the key they left me and ran around to the package boxes. Sure enough, there were my new camera and lens. I spent the rest of the evening running film through it. I think I shot five rolls. Only one BW, which is in the darkroom waiting to get printed.

Another unexpected benefit of this camera: Each roll gets one extra image. Rolls of 24 get 25, and rolls of 36 get 37.

Overall, this camera is soooo much more pleasant to use than the rebel.

As for the lens... It rocks. I spent several hours at the fair, and most of it, I shot with the new 50mm lens. Once and a while, I'd swap out with the 24mm to get a whole scene, but the 50 was great for just about everything. I'd previously used a 35mm to 80mm zoom to take pictures in that range; I didn't miss the zoom at all. And O, the background blur! Highly recommended! It's the Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 USM.

Elan 7n. And the EF 50mm 1:1.4 USM. Great combo, outstanding lens. I love it! The camera's nice, too. Liberating, compared to the Rebel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back