Who's been a naughty boy

Triple D Game Farm

I told him that it sounded fun, but I couldn't afford those prices, but perhaps at some other time...

That seems kind of pricey, but imagine what it costs to take care of the animals that are on their list....

And while I'm the topic of that list. Whitetail deer on their primary species list for $350/session.........seriously?? Something I can go sit in the park for 1/2hr and probably see a dozen of......

I think it's something that I'd still like to do... It appears you're assigned a professonal photographer to your group and he spends time with you in getting some good shots.. But there is no way that I'd try and pass one of those photos off as one that I tracked down and shot in the wild.. First, there's nobody that I know that would believe I got close enough to a Siberian Tiger just to take his picture ... Second - it's just wrong.

Theres only one thing that is stopping me - besides the cost.. I'm a huge animal rights advocate.. I think it's kinna sad that they keep some of these beautiful species caged up until someone comes up with a thousand bucks, for them to drag them out and have them 'pose' for the camera.. There's just something wrong with that also...

Anyone ever heard of Game Farms (photography) before, and what do you think of the ethics of what they do? = Aside from the creep that would 'pretend' he was the Great White Photographer, would it be something that you'd be interested in?? - The pictures from the Triple D website are really neat, but - does it conflict with your integrity?

Interestng topic...

This is something I would love to do. I think it would be a very unique opportunity to get close to some animals that most people will never see in their lifetime. As to the OP, there is no way I would try to pass them off as "wild" shots.... who is honestly going to believe that you got that close to a snow leopard?

As far as the ethics of it, at least as far as something like Triple D, if the animals are well cared for... that's better than you'll see in most zoos.

I know a lot of wildlife centres (more so than zoo at present it seems) are reaching out to photographer enthusiasts since they are one of the few groups of people willing to pay to visit and who are also likley to visit more than once - as opposed to families who tend to visit irregularly and (at least in the uk) part of that is teh high cost of getting the family in the doors.
I have to say though most of those places offering a chance for photographers to get close do charge very high rates of entry - I guess in part it helps to whittle down the types of people you get since often you are letting strangers into pens (or at least very close to the bars) of some rare and potentially dangerous animals.
Also I have to say most wildlife centres tend to have far better pens than many zoos (very very very generalist coverall statement here); at least many of the wildlife centres I have visited tend to have less open pens with more cover for the animals. Also with many of the animals in close or full contact with their keepers and people in general I think this goes a long way to helping to alieviate (Sp) bordem that can creep into animals kept in captivity,

I've also found it interesting that there is often a difference in pen sizings based on the animal - for example many otters in zoos tend to have smaller pens for quite a few otters whilst in wildilfe centres the opposite tend to be more true (larger pens and fewer otters).

That said I remember looking at a pie chart that some zoo had put up (all proud and framed) and I really should have got a shot of it - it showed where the money from the ticket to get in went. Animal care and vet bills was hardly making up 5% of the chart whilst adminstration and entertainment sides of the zoo was sitting around half to three quarters.
I belive most smaller setups do have more sane piechart (with more going to animal and staff fees) but it rather shocked me that the actual care side of the animals (and this was no small zoo) was such a tiny percentage of the use of the fees.

This is unbelievelably timely !!! I got an invitation from a friend of mine from Salt Lake City, to make a weekend trip to the Triple D Game Farm in Montana to shoot some wildlife... I've never heard of that before, and I told him that I wasn't about to shoot an animal that was raised in a farm with the purpose to kill it.. :blushing: He informed me that it was a farm with dozens of different species, kept there specifically for photographs from patrons that pay to see certain animals and take pictures of them.. Man, that was news to me!

Triple D Game Farm

I told him that it sounded fun, but I couldn't afford those prices, but perhaps at some other time... Then I was curious how many of these 'farms' were out there - did a little research and found this article...

Game farm 'nature' photos misleading - Daily Chronicle

I think it's something that I'd still like to do... It appears you're assigned a professonal photographer to your group and he spends time with you in getting some good shots.. But there is no way that I'd try and pass one of those photos off as one that I tracked down and shot in the wild.. First, there's nobody that I know that would believe I got close enough to a Siberian Tiger just to take his picture ... Second - it's just wrong.

Theres only one thing that is stopping me - besides the cost.. I'm a huge animal rights advocate.. I think it's kinna sad that they keep some of these beautiful species caged up until someone comes up with a thousand bucks, for them to drag them out and have them 'pose' for the camera.. There's just something wrong with that also...

Anyone ever heard of Game Farms (photography) before, and what do you think of the ethics of what they do? = Aside from the creep that would 'pretend' he was the Great White Photographer, would it be something that you'd be interested in?? - The pictures from the Triple D website are really neat, but - does it conflict with your integrity?

Interestng topic...

I've heard of hunting game farms. Kinda of a similar idea to what you have here, except it's for hunting and not photography.

Captive Hunt Fact Sheet: The Unfair Chase | The Humane Society of the United States

I'd be interested in being able to interact with the animals, but would much rather get them in the wild. I also wouldn't say they were wild animals....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back