Why am I getting an extremely crapy image?

My experience is that people are disapointed with DSLR in the beginning. I love to compare this with playing Guitar-Hero and playing a real guitar !

The key to success is learning and practice ! Try to get a book like "Photography for beginners" or something like this, read forums, etc... It takes only a few months to get amazing results.

Thank you for that comparison. I don't know why I didn't think about it like that to begin with. I guess I was so use to the point and shoot camera that I am spoiled, but I know that I want to learn the DSLR way so I can be in control of my photos. I picked upi fundamentals of photography, and digital photography essentials by tom ang and the t3i book by busch today so I can stop using the forum for the basic things like this and start learning.

I think I have some books by Tom, and David Busch is in my photo club. How awesome is that! LOL

I think I enjoyed the Tom Ang books.

After you get the hang of exposure, and focusing, you"ll want to get "The photographers eye" and "learning to see creatively" to start learning about the theories of composition and elements of design. Of course, you can google those as well and get instant reading.

Then, you'll start thinking about lighting, and "light, science, magic" is a great go to book. And there is also the Strobist website.

Have fun!

Oh, and don't expect to be amazing too soon.

Wait for it, it will come.

i personally find tv mode completely useless try p mode first and learn how to use the light meter then once youve figured that out you
can start having fun learning av mode

So are you suggesting never to use Tv mode?

TV mode (shutter priority is good when you need a to control your shutter speed for stopping action, or letting in some movement blur.. it automatically sets the aperture based on the shutter speed you choose)

AV (Aperture Priority is good to control Depth of Field... and will automatically set your shutter speed based on the aperture you choose!)

I would not use P mode.. you won't learn much there.... as the camera will make all the decisions..

Most people shoot in Aperture priority for most things.. and go to shutter priority when they need those functions. Read the books mentioned.. you will know why! :)

indoors without flash.. ISO 100 and 1/200 sounds way to fast..... especially if you have a kit lens with a aperture of 4.5/5.6 or so. Not enough light for that, unless your house is really brightly lit. Flash is a whole different story.... as Bitter said, Flash WB... don't know Canons, so hard to suggest what you need, especially not knowing your ambient light.

Sorry, I am really new to this. So, taking pictures indoors under "normal" lighting you are going to have to sacrifice some image quality?

Normal lighting is usually very dim compared to outdoors sunlight. You can get good shots indoors.. but you have to compensate for the lack of light.. a higher ISO.. a larger aperture or a slower shutter speed (that might require a tripod to prevent blur) Usually the ISO is what you want to set first.. depending on the amount of light that is available.. and then the other settings based on what you are shooting.

i personally find tv mode completely useless try p mode first and learn how to use the light meter then once youve figured that out you
can start having fun learning av mode

So are you suggesting never to use Tv mode?

Use TV mode when you want priority control over the shutter....The aperture and ISO (if auto ISO is selected) will change within their limitations to set the EV you select...

Once you understand the affects of Shutter speed, aperture & ISO those settings will make more sense and you will be able to make you OWN decisions on when would be the proper time to use them.

You shoot digital.. There's no excuse for not throwing it in Manual (M) and just shooting with and seeing what happens... Dont even worry about producing great photos, just shoot to get the used to using the camera.

I just got some books today to help me out, but I am going to look like a complete idiot here. I didn't even realize I could use the meter on the camera to check the exposure. Can you explain that to me a little more.

As soon as you know you don't know anything, you're not an idiot ! You're just someone who tries to learn !

Most reactions

Back