Why are my pictures so plain?

Photoa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
I've had my Sony a 200 for about 8months now and I've noticed that all my images are very dull and the colours are not deep like other SLR's are, my friends camera, Nikon d80, his colours were vibrant and deep, mine were so pale and had no real charactor. Is it the camera or is the lens. The lens is the same one that came with it. It's hard to get any proper feel into the picture as the colours are not leaping out at you like the Nikon.

Can someone please advise me where i'm going wrong.

thanks.

robertwsimpson said:
it's the post processing.

Not necessarily - how can you make that assumption without seeing samples?

It could be the camera, lens, or... the person pressing the shutter button.

If it's the camera:
Check if your friend is shooting RAW or JPG and what settings (if JPG) they are using. Also, what mode are you shooting in? RAW files in general won't have as much 'pop' as a JPG until they are adjusted in post processing while JPG files can have in-camera post processing done to them.

If it's the lens:
Compare the lenses, are you both shooting the same range and comparable quality lenses? Same settings (aperture and shutter speed).

If it's the operator:
Many times it's operator error so to speak. Some people just have a natural gift for picking out a scene and knowing how to shoot it, while others need to make a concentrated effort and really focus on the shot to get it right. It could very well be that your friend is just a better photographer and could produce similar results with your camera.

There are so many variables in taking a photograph it's very difficult to say what the problem may be without some examples.

I am being serious does anyone have any solutions?

sorry, that wasn't directed at you.

When i use my friends d80 I can do all that shots that I want, and they look good, and the colours are fine. Even when he has a go on my camera the colours are still dull and lifeless.

Thanks for the reply though

Gotcha :)

I'd still check the settings... it could make a world of difference. His D80 could be set to 'Vibrant' while your A200 could be set to 'Standard', that alone will make a huge difference in the colors popping.

Also, are you comparing shots on the camera's LCD, computer screen or prints?

I am being serious does anyone have any solutions?

I think everyone were serious.

o Lens - Some lenses are better in color or contrast.
o Camera body - Some camera bodies will adjust the photo for you with higher color saturation and contrast. (unless RAW is the selected format)
o Environment - Different places at different times yield different result.
o Post processing - Most of the good photos you saw were processed (digital or film)
o Photographer - You know what I mean ...

I'm assuming (based on the OP and the equipment listed) we're not talking about professional grade equipment. I think it's a logical assumption. The D80 was probably shooting in JPG mode, which means that the camera was doing a little bit of image processing (even in normal mode) and that is what was making the colors pop. The sony probably doesn't do the same amount of processing, or doesn't do it as well. Those are my assumptions, and that's why I maintain, it's the post processing. Just bump the color saturation and you'll be happy, I bet.

:addpics:

seriously, there's nothing we can really suggest without knowing what you are talking about. Well, we can make suggestions, but having pics will give us a much better idea.

:addpics:

seriously, there's nothing we can really suggest without knowing what you are talking about. Well, we can make suggestions, but having pics will give us a much better idea.

Everybody is right... But some examples would help

* Lens
* White balance correction. Some cameras suck at AWB
* Filters
* PP
* Your computer monitor. It may need calibrating.
And the list goes on. Many people make assumptions. But fact is, no camera gets it spot on straight out of the box.

Also, I hope you're also downloading them and not using the LCD to critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back