Why are there no non-macro prime lenses with Image Stabilization ?

The first and most important rule of VR (IS) is this: never turn VR on unless it's actually needed.

Image stabilization isn't really needed for focal lengths fo 200 mm or less.

But many people don't have very good camer handeling technique and require all the help they can get.

Putting image stablization in short focal length prime, or zoom, lenses is more about marketing than practical application.

It is in the best intertests of the camera/lens makers to convince as many buyers as possible that some of these technologies are indispensible.

I thought IS/VR/OS was about stabilizing the image in the viewfinder, not actually helping you achieve slower shutter speeds?

The thing about an SLR is what you see is what you get. If the viewfinder image has been stabilized, then the sensor will see that too.

I thought IS/VR/OS was about stabilizing the image in the viewfinder, not actually helping you achieve slower shutter speeds?

The thing about an SLR is what you see is what you get. If the viewfinder image has been stabilized, then the sensor will see that too.

Yeah I get that but if your shooting at proper shutter speeds, given your focal length, what is it doing then? Just giving you a clearer image in your viewfinder. It's just a tool for when it's needed.

Yeah I get that but if your shooting at proper shutter speeds, given your focal length, what is it doing then? Just giving you a clearer image in your viewfinder. It's just a tool for when it's needed.

If you have a clearer image in your viewfinder you have a clearer image, period. I agree that it's not always needed, but I have no idea what you mean with the above statement. IR makes a much bigger difference in stills than it does when viewing things in the viewfinder, given how the human brain processes visual images.

If you have a clearer image in your viewfinder you have a clearer image, period. I agree that it's not always needed, but I have no idea what you mean with the above statement. IR makes a much bigger difference in stills than it does when viewing things in the viewfinder, given how the human brain processes visual images.

What I meant was, if your shooting at the necessary shutter speed for a given focal length to obtain quality images, it is doing nothing more than stabilizing the image in your viewfinder.

Also "what you see is what you get" is far from true. Whether my shutter speed is set to 30 seconds or 1/8000 I see the same image through the view finder, but what happens when the shutter is released is what varies.

I see these stabilized systems very useful when hand holding at high magnification. Examples would be in macro and using long focal lengths over 200mm where slight hand movements or breathing can cause the image in the view finder to be "unsteady".

Take this scenario:

500mm lens handheld at 1/4000 without IS/VR/OS
500mm lens handheld at 1/4000 with IS/VR/OS

Both images would be equally clear but it would be much easier to frame or pan, hand held, with IS/VR/OS.

That is wall I was trying to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

VR basically makes a tripod superflous, or at least less useful.

not really. Try to shoot handheld with VR/IS at 1" shutter speed.
Just read again what you even quoted yourself.

P.s.: Okay, on second thought I should have added something like "in many situations" to this sentence. Of course theres still plenty usefulness for tripods.

Last edited:
In case of IS systems like in 70-200 II, I wouldn't even say "slightly" steadier hands. More like "omg sniper steadiness"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back