Why buy a Mac?

Mrsforeman1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a special benefit to purchasing a Mac? Appearantly, alot of people here own one. I don't get it:confused: Should I?

Yes (no questions asked)

No honestly it is your decision. If you have 100% content with Windows, I would just stick it out. The change over cost can be big (new PS, buying the programs that are essentially the basics on Windows) the learning curve.

Now that I have done it, I am delighted, but I wanted to defenestrate this laptop when I first purchased it simply because it took me a whole day learning how to scroll and wrap my head around not using Ctrl for everything but command.

There was good reason to purchase a Mac desktop for photo editing when they were still being produced with multi-processor G5's. Now that they're using Intel chipsets, there's no significant distinction in hardware platform. As such, it comes down simply to a question of operating system. Most essentially, if there are programs that you absolutely need that are only made for OS X, then by all means it's an obvious choice. I have yet to see any such programs in the image editing world. Then of course there's the issue of OS stability. It's an age-old question. My personal opinion is that OS X is currently an intrinsically more stable platform since it's based on UNIX. However, any real functional distinctions in terms of stability are pretty minimal to the advanced computer user. I'm of the opinion that a well-maintained and well-protected Windows system (good AV protection, regular spyware checking, defragging, and an understanding of how to customize the OS in order to pare down many of its useless background processes) is nearly equally stable. If you take my word on this, then I believe it simply comes down to a matter of personal preference. If you disagree with me, then I think you know which one to go with.

Hope that helps.

Lets see here OS X is based on Unix? or does it having Unix porting I used to have Linux/ windows XP system but I am getting tired of all the crap ware within windows. I have been thinking about making a switch but hate to buy photoshop again. Maybe I could find an older CS version for less.

The bonus is if I get a Mac the kids will stay off it since their games are not loaded on it.

There was good reason to purchase a Mac desktop for photo editing when they were still being produced with multi-processor G5's. Now that they're using Intel chipsets, there's no significant distinction in hardware platform. As such, it comes down simply to a question of operating system. Most essentially, if there are programs that you absolutely need that are only made for OS X, then by all means it's an obvious choice. I have yet to see any such programs in the image editing world. Then of course there's the issue of OS stability. It's an age-old question. My personal opinion is that OS X is currently an intrinsically more stable platform since it's based on UNIX. However, any real functional distinctions in terms of stability are pretty minimal to the advanced computer user. I'm of the opinion that a well-maintained and well-protected Windows system (good AV protection, regular spyware checking, defragging, and an understanding of how to customize the OS in order to pare down many of its useless background processes) is nearly equally stable. If you take my word on this, then I believe it simply comes down to a matter of personal preference. If you disagree with me, then I think you know which one to go with.

Hope that helps.

I read into this that it takes a lot of work to keep windows stable were a Mac comes that way. I'm not a MAc fanboy but I do really like the OS. I just switched this year and don't ever plan to go back to windows. I find I'm able to do things faster on my Mac, not in terms of processor speed but in terms of workflow. It's just very well put together. It also comes free with the the ilife suite which is pretty cool. For the price iphoto is a nice image storage program. I like how all the apps are intergrated as well. It's easy to send info from one to another. People are always using cars to compare the os Sytems.

I think windows is like jeep. You can lift it, do all sorts of mods and it will kick ass off road. When you do all these mods you can expect not everything to work perfectly well.

Mac OS is like a Land Cruiser. Very well sorted, not very good to get under the hood and mess with, but will run very well for a long time.

Both can do the same thing, Windows/pc's are good to modify and tinker with. Macs are good out of the box.

I don't think one is any better than the other. I just prefer the Mac experience. If there is an apple store near you they have them all set up and you can try the different models.

Here is some info that might help you to make up your mind.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49528

I agree with with everything you said Max, but I would like to point out that apple moving to Intel was a good choice, IBM was really floundering with their processor development. and It caused the whole Powerbook stagnate with G4 processors long after their prime. and the new 10.5 runs faster on Intel than an PPC

A well maintained XP or OSX system will run smooth and stable. Not sure about vista at this point, but thats Microsoft.

I personally use a Mac, It is mostly subtle organizational thing, that are appealing to me, the way that menus are arranged, or the fact that the menu bar is always on the top of the screen. It just has to work.

More specifically.. . mac os x is based of BSD (Berkely) UNIX.

I'm a UNIX guy so it fits me well... did I say I hate windows?

Vista is even worse.

If I change to Mac then I don't loose much...since I don't play games and I can put CS3 on Mac.
I don't have to worry about viruses and I can still use the internet?
And the disadvantages are?

Lets see here OS X is based on Unix? or does it having Unix porting I used to have Linux/ windows XP system but I am getting tired of all the crap ware within windows. I have been thinking about making a switch but hate to buy photoshop again. Maybe I could find an older CS version for less.

The bonus is if I get a Mac the kids will stay off it since their games are not loaded on it.

OSX is Unix, It just has a really nice GUI.

I think that there may be a trade in thing with some software companies if you switch platforms, but I not really sure.

You still should be aware and protect your machine from viruses no matter what platforum.

Some people would find limited support for hardware a limitation of MAC. I see it the other way around.. the fact that apple doesn't try support the entire world means that what is supported was/is more likely in better shape. Many people have found that Microsoft Office for MAC actually runs better than the Windows version...

If I change to Mac then I don't loose much...since I don't play games and I can put CS3 on Mac.
I don't have to worry about viruses and I can still use the internet?
And the disadvantages are?

Price. My macbook pro cost 2400. I could get a similar dell for 1800. Similar in specs not quality. Dell uses a lot of cheap components. The ram they use is like the cheapest ram made. I've got some friends who own a repair shop. It's full of Dells. I know more Dells are sold than anything else but the break like crazy. Also dell customer support is brutally bad. I've dealt with apple support twice. Each time they were fast and efficient. The even refunded me some money when they had reason to at all. It was my fault and I didn't do some research.

The apple website is a fantastic resource for learning about you computer. Tons of video tutorials, excellent downloads, great support. Buying a mac is buying into something much larger than just an OS and some hardware.

I've had this load of XP running for about 3 years now. If you never clean house then you wind up having to move from time to time. Being behind a router helps too. I have yet to have anyone demonstrate to my satisfaction that the Mac is intrinsically better than a PC.

I will have to admit that I have a separate box for editing now but even before it wasn't that much trouble running everything on this old thing.

Price. My macbook pro cost 2400. I could get a similar dell for 1800. Similar in specs not quality. Dell uses a lot of cheap components. The ram they use is like the cheapest ram made. I've got some friends who own a repair shop. It's full of Dells. I know more Dells are sold than anything else but the break like crazy. Also dell customer support is brutally bad. I've dealt with apple support twice. Each time they were fast and efficient. The even refunded me some money when they had reason to at all. It was my fault and I didn't do some research.

The apple website is a fantastic resource for learning about you computer. Tons of video tutorials, excellent downloads, great support. Buying a mac is buying into something much larger than just an OS and some hardware.

People say Macs are expensive...I say that Dells are just plain cheap.

It is how you look at the equation....

I have a totally useable early 2001 G3 ibook running 10.4 Mac OS X and I bet it would have no problems running Leopard. How many 2001 windows boxes would have absolutely no problem running the bloated Vista release?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back