Why did you buy a Pentax?

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So what swayed you to Pentax over a Nikon, or a Canon, or Sony, or...?

AA batteries, running on 4 of them...at least in the older Pentax models.

I used to use Nikon and Hassy in the 70's. Quit and sold out.

In the 80's bought a couple of cheap Pentax K1000's bodies for $98 each new. Then quit film and got a cheap PS dig camera in the late 90's.

In Jan '12 got back into photography and got outfitted with numerous Pentax dslr bodies ($140 - $285) and the finest Pentax and 3rd party glass. Very happy with them.

Just wish Pentax continued with the 4 AA battery power option. I never make prints and only view on the 'puter. So 6 -12 mp is OK for me. Really you can't tell the difference with mp very much on the 'puter unless you blowing up a cropped section. But would like a FF 24mp Pentax running on 4 AA's if they was such a beast. We all seem to go for the bigger and better ego booster.

I also considered going Nikon D800, buying 3 bodies and some lenses for $24,000. If the D800 ran on 4 AA's I would have dropped the $24K without a blink. But fudge all these greedy cam companies that screw the consumer with their proprietary packs. I wont buy them. Nikon lost $24 k in biz from me. Sure it is nothing to Nikon, but still lost biz all the same.

But...when all is said and done...Nikon is the best.

<SNIP>
I also considered going Nikon D800, buying 3 bodies and some lenses for $24,000. If the D800 ran on 4 AA's I would have dropped the $24K without a blink. But fudge all these greedy cam companies that screw the consumer with their proprietary packs. I wont buy them. Nikon lost $24 k in biz from me. Sure it is nothing to Nikon, but still lost biz all the same.

You do know that you can use AA's in Nikon's Battery grips, right? Canon too!

Spent a couple months reading up on forum posts and reviews of the Canon 7d, Canon 60d and Canon 5dMKii. Borrowed a friend's 5d. Went into stores and played with a 7d and 60d. Really wanted to stick with Canon because they treat their customers very well (in my experiences). Really liked shooting on my Canon S90 (where I learned how to shoot manually).

Happenstanced onto a review of the Pentax K5. Did more research, and literally could not find a bad review on it. Researched the glass and found it to be of excellent quality as well (and also being able to use ANY K mount lens without adapters). Went to a camera store and played with a K5 and 7d to refresh myself, and found the controls on the K5 to be exactly how I think the controls should be layed out (as little button pushing as possible).

Liked it so much I bought one the very next day.

Oh, and you can use AA batteries in the K5 grip as well. I don't know why anyone would want to bother with bulky AA batteries either, but to each their own.

<SNIP>

You do know that you can use AA's in Nikon's Battery grips, right? Canon too!

1600+ shots with OEM batteries in a grip in the 5D Mark II... I'm not sure AA's would perform as well, but I could be wrong.

I bought a ME Super back in the eighties and some glass. Then in 2010 decided to get back into photography, so I bought a K7, since I allready had a bunch of glass that I could use. I really like the layout and navigation of the menus. My wife has a D5100 and my Pentax is much easier to set than the Nikon.

I got the Q because I haven't used anything but a point n shoot for the last 10 years. Read up on small interchangeable lens bodies and liked this one. Good camera for me. I still have my Nikon SLR from high school. Not needing the full DSLR capabilities this thing is perfect to carry around and take great pics with. It's like a DSLR I can have fun with.

I got the K-x a couple of years ago for the following reasons:
-Kit lens rated better than other major kits.
-In-body stabilization.
-Compatibility with some excellent vintage lenses (both K and M42 mounts)
-Value for money.

Just wish Pentax continued with the 4 AA battery power option.

They have ... all their entry and mid level camera use AA, the K-x, K-r and the new K30. The K-r and K30 can use both, proprietary Li or AA...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/73122.htmlWhat irfan.in.x said nailed it for me as well. I had an old K1000 with several lenses. I liked being able to start out using these and have to buy new right away. One of these is 70-300 Macro that love. Manual focus but it still works quite well.

Getting stuff like this...

Waldo County Storms; Waldo County, Maine (Explored!) by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Head of Falls; Waterville, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Hilltop Aurora; August 5-6, 2011; Knox, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Sunset on the Sebasticook; Benton, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Nutcracker by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Golden Hour Spike by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Predawn; Winslow, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Day 42 - Tau Tau by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Moonrise; Unity, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

With this. Average lens price is about $15. The two most expensive were the Sigma 70-300 and FA 28-90. My K-x has gone down for the count (my fault), but I plan to jump back in as soon as the rumored successor to the K-5 is announced.

Lenses by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Getting stuff like this...

I think maybe, just maaaybe this might have a bit more to do with your skill level than you choosing a Pentax :lol:
That first shot is just awesome by the way. Good work!

Oh, no, it was my inborn cheapness that was my primary reason. I have an old K1000 kicking around somewhere with a couple lenses (where, I don't know... they're still hiding) so when I went to get an SLR I went for something compatible with my old lenses so I wouldn't have to buy anything out of the gate beyond the camera itself. The fact that I can go into a thrift shop and grab a 30 year old lens and slap it on my camera without the need for an adapter is amazing.

My last purchase before the camera died were a pair of old Sears lenses from Goodwill. One is an old 50mm f/1.7 that's sharp as a tack, the other is a 135mm macro with that funky soft focus effect. I paid $25 for the two of them. Old, cheap glass on a camera that gives excellent quality shots? Yes please.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back