Why did you buy Nikon?

I was a noob in photography though i took photos all my life but didn't move from auto mode on the bridge canon s5is i bought for a trip to New Zealand.

5 years have passed since i bought it and i felt i need to upgrade and started to investigate about DSLR's. after about 3 months of learning (i'm a total pschyo when it comes to buying things, i HAVE to buy the BEST bang for my buck, its a sickness really, its a good thing to have, but one can drive oneself mad from confusion and decision making), the choices and options were so VAST, so many terms i didn't know, so much technical stuff, i learned everything from SCRATCH because i always took picture like a noob (auto mode on P&S).

I came from Canon's world of P&S cameras so first i thought "ok i know canon, and i have had canon p&s all my life, i will go canon", but once i learned about all the aspects of photography and i understood what i'm paying for, The D5100 gave me the most for my money, it did everything the rebel t3i did and was known to be better in low light, so i went for it and never looked back.

I also came from Canon P&S and got my Nikon D5100 yesterday.

Reasons I bought Nikon:
1. There are a lot of good reviews.
2. Easy on the buck.
3. Big community that may help each other out.

Its a great camera you will enjoy it ;)

The old Nikon F "Photomic" series of viewfinder/metering prisms became iconic as the 1960's wore on and the 1970's saw a similar elevation of the Nikon F2' series to the same position as "the best" 35mm SLR camera to have. That big, squarish prism on top of the camera body really did become an instantly-recognizable trait of Nikon's flagship cameras. it was possible to spot an F or an F2 in a crowd, on TV, or in a movie or TV show. Even casual viewers recognized the "NIKON" camera. Paul Simon's song Kodachrome, mentioned the Nikon camera by name, repeatedly. Nikon, the brand, and the tool, were pretty well-imprinted on the collective popular consciousness in the 1970's. When Canon finally was able to develop a camera that could compete against the then over 10-year old Nikon F, Canon named their camera the F-1. Kind of trying to ride the coattails of the leader. And when Nikon developed the world's first "affordable" d-slr, the Nikon D1 in late 1998, it took Canon several years to come up with their own pro d-slr camera, which they named the Canon 1D. Talk about lame follow-the-leader games...

Ya interesting you brought up the Canon naming; I never thought of it that way. Although, I figured they called it the 1D simply because D=digital and their pro-series all began with "1" like the 1N and 1V from the film days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back