WHY did you Chose the brand of Camera you did?

Timoris

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have no idea how I would search if this thread already exists in one form or another, results where not conclusive.

As the title suggests, WHY did you chose your particular brand?

For example,

I switched from a Sony point and shoot to the Canon dSLR System because I had purchased a Canon SX200is when my Sony died on me.
What I really really like about Canon was the ability to hack it using CHDK, removing the software limitations and to pretty much do anything you could every dream of with it, the only limit being the hardware.

From what I could tell, Canon was cool with this, and any company that allows tinkering in that manner has my vote. So I turned down Nikon and went with my T2i.

So, why did you chose Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc?

Nikon, because of their glass.

Canon and Nikon had comparable glass selection and capability, both of which far overshadowed the competition. I then chose Canon over Nikon because of ergonomics.

I believe Nikon has better AF, Lenses, and TTL flash capability than any of the competitors. I also love the way they feel, and the way they layout the controls! Other brands just feel wimpy to me.. no substance, all hype! IMO! ;)

I went with Canon over the competitors because of their MP-E 65mm macro lens, which I intend to purchase and master when I get the time/money. No other brand, at least the last time I checked, has a comparable lens. Also, to me it seems like the different brands all produce a different "feel" to their images, beyond what the photographer produces - it's impossible to explain, but it's sort of like I can just look at an image and say "Oh, that one was taken by a [insert brand here]" and be correct a surprising amount of the time. And I just prefer the "feel" of Canon images.

I chose nikon and its best glass but I'd be equally happy with canon too.

No thank you to toy cameras such as sony though hah!

behindsofa.gif

(...) Also, to me it seems like the different brands all produce a different "feel" to their images, beyond what the photographer produces - it's impossible to explain, but it's sort of like I can just look at an image and say "Oh, that one was taken by a [insert brand here]" and be correct a surprising amount of the time. And I just prefer the "feel" of Canon images.

I know what you mean, it's the reason I really like Antique Cameras. If I am looking for the best, perfect images, I stick to my dSLR. But Antique cameras have a sort of ... imperfection, which brings a quality to the image you just can't get elsewhere.

It's much more simple here...
I had no clue when it comes to DSLR brands because I only had experience with a 4 year old Panasonic P&S.
I simply chose Nikon because I knew it to be one of the main brands, it had good reviews and my brother and one of my friends both had a Nikon and were really pleased with it.
Being able to borrow their lenses was also a big plus for me.
I have not yet regret this choice for a single minute.

Canon and Nikon had comparable glass selection and capability, both of which far overshadowed the competition. I then chose Canon over Nikon because of ergonomics.

14-24 2.8?

Worked in a couple different "studios" that used Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Sony. I preferred the UI of the Canon to all the other models.

When I got the chance to get a DSLR I knew it would be my one and only shot at it. I only had enough money for a camera, so since I had several lenses from my Minolta Maxxum 7000, it was a no brainer to go with Sony.

I chose Canon because I liked the way it felt in my hand. I used a few Nikons and couldn't get used to the controls, hated the menu system, the bodies felt weird and chintzy, and none of my friends shot Nikon. ;)

I switched from Sony to Canon because... Well, it was Sony. And an A200 at that. I wasn't overly impressed with the IQ or the noise handling, so I switched systems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back