Why do my D50 photos have so much Noise?

AlvinLeung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yea, so i would like to know why my D50 produces photos with alot of Noise?

I gets even worse when i increase the Contrast in Photoshop*

Thanks.

For these example photos, i used Nikon 50mm f1.8

DSC_0328-1.jpg

DSC_0365-1.jpg

DSC_0359-1.jpg

You're using an ISO of 1600, try lowering it to around 400. My 10D also has a lot of noise or "graining" above 400 ISO so it could be the same problem.

Scott

I don't know mabye it's my moitor but they don't look all that noisy to me.

yeah me either. noise comes from long exposures and high ISO's. there is a noise reduction option on the d50, use it it might help.

PS. How do you view exif data on firefox?

Im going to say its your monitors - because those definitely are rocking some noise. I'd say its because of the close crop on the last two, but he's using a 50MM, and definitely the first one doesn't look like its been cropped that much. I'd check the ISO setting as was recommended and try and keep it 300 or below. Hell with a 50MM you should be able to just drop it to 200 and leave it there.

I keep my D50 on 200 almost always and rarely to 400... although these don't look too noisy.

The last picture:

File name: DSC_0359-1.jpg
File size: 366800 bytes (3008x2000, 0.5bpp, 49x)
EXIF Summary: 1/1250s f/2.8 ISO1600 50mm (35mm eq:75mm)

Drop your ISO, noise goes away.

I don't know, I just download the image and open it in Opanda IExif :thumbup:

And then use the Opanda Firefox plugin :p

Asside from the mentioned high ISO problem the other thing is noise is typically buried in the shadows. Think of the analogy of a really quiet tape recording (you do remember tapes don't you?), and turning up the volume brings out more noise than a loud one. Well if a photograph is dark and you bump up the shadows by decreasing contrast or increasing brightness you amplify the noise.

Welcome to the world of shooting indoors. Get a tripod, shoot at f/1.4 at ISO100/200, or use a flash :(

Not only are the images noisy but Nikon is spelled backwards/reversed on your camera. Can't believe Nikon let it out of the factory badged that way.

I think thats an image from a mirror ....that's why the "Nikon" does not look right!!

Acutally, the Nikon spelled backwards is a problem that is largely ignored by the company... I see a lot of it in their "Stunning Nikon" ads... a whole bunch of people holding up cameras, shooting and the Nikon name is backwards.

Perhaps this is a new effort by the company to insure backwards compatibility?

Acutally, the Nikon spelled backwards is a problem that is largely ignored by the company... I see a lot of it in their "Stunning Nikon" ads... a whole bunch of people holding up cameras, shooting and the Nikon name is backwards.

Perhaps this is a new effort by the company to insure backwards compatibility?

(lol) ... Maybe Nikon should change their name to NOKON ... thereby eliminating said problems.

Gary

(lol) ... Maybe Nikon should change their name to NOKON ... thereby eliminating said problems.

Gary

I second that. Even though I shoot Canon... any ideas to help us??? :lol:

Most reactions

Back