Why do people like the Nikon D7100?

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is a YouTuber that I happen to like very much. He was supposed to do a review of the Nikon D7100 and compare it to a couple of other cameras. In both videos he keeps getting side tracked and talks about other cameras that are not in the topic and lenses etc.... It is driving me nuts. Two times he said that Nikon D7100 will do 97% of what a D810 will do. If that is the truth, I would like to know how and why. The D7100 is a DX camera and the D810 is FX. Does anyone have an opinion on this topic?

Thank you,

Lonnie

I think he has things a little bit confused. I have owned the Nikon d2x which was a really fine camera, but it had a DX size sensor and so every legacy lens that was mounted on it had its field of view curtailed. A 28 mm wide angle was sort of a "pseudonormal".... indoors in a family living room an 85 mm Prime was almost useless for anything but tight headshots. Let me give you an example. With a DX camera and an FX camera, using the same 85 mm lens, to get a picture that is 8.47 ft tall with the full frame camera you make that picture from 20 feet away. With a DX camera you have to stand 34 and 1/2 feet back. You need entirely different lenses for a crop frame than you do for a full frame. On a full frame a 28 mm lens is a nice wide angle lens, and a 50 millimeter lens is a normal lens. On a DX camera those two lens lengths perform very, very differently.

The sensor in the Nikon D810 is incredibly good; while the sensor in the Nikon D7100 is quite good. it is not incredibly good as is the sensor the D810 uses. The D810 offers incredible exposure recovery, while the D7100 has about a four-stop limit for shadow recovery.

I don't want to sound like I'm belittling DX sensors, but there is a certain amazing look to a full frame sensor, no matter if it is a Nikon or Canon or a Sony. For real low light work, a bigger sensor just simply works better. Back in 2006 I was shooting the Nikon D2x, which was a nice $5,000 camera. A couple of years later I bought myself a Canon 5D and the 24 to 105 mm F / 4 L series USM oh, and it was an immediate uptick in image quality.

In terms of actual picture taking in Real World locations indoors, the full frame camera gives you hundreds and hundreds of options in lenses going back as far as 1959. with a DX camera there are only a few truly high-quality lenses designed to leverage a smaller sensor. Comparing a Nikon D810 is like comparing a Ford F-150 and a Chevrolet Sonic. They are just simply different things, even though both are vehicles, and both are popular. It's like comparing beef steak with fried chicken, or a sandwich with a taco.

Why do people like the Nikon D7100? Probably because for a number of years it was Nikon's top amateur-oriented camera. For the past 40 years the top amateur-oriented Nikon has been a very popular camera. The D7100 was one of the finest aps-c or DX cameras of its time. When new it retailed for about $1,300, and as such it had a number of features and capabilities which gave the owner or user a great number of advantages over lower-level cameras. It offers second curtain flash sync. It offers a built-in Focus motor so it can drive older AF and AF-D lenses. It can do a high-speed flash synchronization. It has a more sophisticated autofocusing system and uses more metering sensors than the Nikon D3000- and 5000-series cameras. It is less advanced than the Nikon D300 or D500 in terms of feature sets, but it offers higher image quality than the Nikon D300. Now that Nikon has released the D7200 and D7500 models, prices on the D7100 make it a very good value. Like I said back when it was new and the top camera in it market segment it retailed for around $1,299.

My primary camera was a D7100 for a long time and I love mine. Great unit with great features for a great price. I occasionally use it as a second camera when I need to use two at the same time. I don't like this as much since images render differently from it then my D850. The last time I traveled internationally I took the 7100 as I did not want to risk my main work body. It goes to every paid shoot as a back up.

I think it was in Nikon's plan for us to own several camera's. Someday soon Nikon will come out with a new camera. It will be 85% of what we want. Then in a few more years they will come out with another camera. It will have what the previous camera was missing.

My primary camera was a D7100 for a long time and I love mine. Great unit with great features for a great price. I occasionally use it as a second camera when I need to use two at the same time. I don't like this as much since images render differently from it then my D850. The last time I traveled internationally I took the 7100 as I did not want to risk my main work body. It goes to every paid shoot as a back up.

Have had the same thoughts about taking a DX camera out on trips.

I like the D7100 'cuz it's basically an APSC D600. Same pixel count, same tactile layout, same batteries. And the grips, while different, have interchangeable battery trays.

Have had the same thoughts about taking a DX camera out on trips.

I did not take it because it was DX I took it because I would not either be out of business or need to drop $3000 for a new body if something happened to the primary camera. In theory I could have just used my D90 as it goes with me on all my dive trips, but the 7100 is a much better camera. I am still keeping my eye out for a reasonable priced 7100 housing and it will replace my D90. Even in the dive world finding a used housing for the 7100 is hard because it is such a good camera for that use also.

I like the D7100 'cuz it's basically an APSC D600. Same pixel count, same tactile layout, same batteries. And the grips, while different, have interchangeable battery trays.
But a much better af module

I loved my Nikon D7100 ..I look back on some of my older photos I took with it and it was impressive... sometimes sorry I ever sold it .

I loved my Nikon D7100 ..I look back on some of my older photos I took with it and it was impressive... sometimes sorry I ever sold it .

It is nice to hear from you Photo Lady. There are a lot of D7100's for sale on eBay. You might buy another one. They seem to be a popular camera and will probably hold their prices.

It is nice to hear from you Photo Lady. There are a lot of D7100's for sale on eBay. You might buy another one. They seem to be a popular camera and will probably hold their prices.
I have a great camera now Nikon d5oo .. I am totally satisfied.. so fast.. a lot to learn with it.. but I have fond memories of the Nikon D7100.. it just never failed me.. I started with the D5000.. but really improved with the D7100.. and even now I don't seem to get" at times" the awesome photos I did with the 7100.. but now I am on to experimenting with some new lenses.. so that should help along with practice.. thank you

I have a great camera now Nikon d5oo .. I am totally satisfied.. so fast.. a lot to learn with it.. but I have fond memories of the Nikon D7100.. it just never failed me.. I started with the D5000.. but really improved with the D7100.. and even now I don't seem to get" at times" the awesome photos I did with the 7100.. but now I am on to experimenting with some new lenses.. so that should help along with practice.. thank you
I have both a d7100 and d750 there are times I like the 7100 over the 750 due to the lack of AA filter for the tack sharp images it gives. The 750 has a somewhat softer look to them but better color.
Cant make myself sell either one to move up to mirrorless.

Well yeah, the FX is much better sensor. The AA filter can easily be overcome with some sharpening in post.

The D750 is a much larger sensor with the same amount of pixels, so it is more prone to jaggies

I'm a little shocked you can actually see a difference in the regards of sharpness -- I remember seeing a lot of D800 vs. D800E comparisons when it first came out and you could barely tell and only really at 200%, and then adding some sharpness would bring it back to equal.

I'm not shocked you can see the difference in color, however.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back