Why do some people look ugly in photos?

I'm baffled by the mirror thing too. I've seen reflections of people where their faces look much more crooked then they do in reality. Somehow when you see facial features 'the wrong way around' (because what's left is actually right and such) it changes your perception. So you should probably look at yourself in the mirror holding a mirror. That's the only way to see how others see you.

pascal

I'm baffled by the mirror thing too. I've seen reflections of people where their faces look much more crooked then they do in reality. Somehow when you see facial features 'the wrong way around' (because what's left is actually right and such) it changes your perception. So you should probably look at yourself in the mirror holding a mirror. That's the only way to see how others see you.

pascal
Yep, thats me too. When my sister looks at me in the mirror she cracks a joke about my 'crooked face'. But whats worse is that I don't see any of it when I look into the mirror, yet others can see it? Strange. So my best bet is those crooked faces you saw don't know that your seeing them like that and when they take photos their faces may also look crooked as mine does.

I noticed this and it's really getting me down, when i look at the mirror i think i look ok but i'm looking at a mirrored image, when i look side on at a mirror with another mirror showing seeing the image of me as others would see? I look really ugly my face isn't symmetrical, my nose isn't straight my teeth look crooked it's really depressing me i don't wan't to see anyone or go out anymore i don't what to do is this how i really look to others and not if i just look straight at a mirror? :(

Simple. When you look into the mirror you see yourself in a reflection. Basically the wrong way around.

When you take a picture of yourself you are seeing yourself the right way around, as everybody else see's you and how you may never see yourself in a mirror without reflecting the first mirror into a second (thus making the image the correct way around).

Im extremely photogenic in my pictures simply because I know which angle i look best at - in all pictures taken by everybody else save one or two photos - i look like pants!

I guess this means im only semi ugly.

I HATE being filmed.

And yes. It is exactly the same reason we dislike our own voices usually - we're just not used to hearing them as other people do and we're not used to seeing ourselves as other people do, either.

It doesn't make you ugly it just makes you human.

Look at this link: http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/research/archives/2002/why_tv_makes_you_fatter1504.cfm

I've have the absolutely the same problem, when I look into the mirror, I look like girl on the photo nr. 2. But on the photos I look like girl on the photo 3. Also when I "flip" the photo to imitate my "mirror look", I still look completely different. It really makes me angry, in mirror I look really really good, but on the photos my face is simple deformed. Especially my face borders are comletely different than in the mirrors, also my face is much much wider, eyes smaller, and in mirror I can see my ears, on the photo almost not...

There are just few exception, when photo is taken without flash, not in very sharp lights, and plus some unknow constanst, and then sometimes I look normal, like I see myself in the mirror ;) But it's very rarely, I simple can't understand, why it's so difference between mirror and photo.

I think that it's like hearing our own voices. Whenever someone hears their voice recorded it's always a much different than what they hear in their head.

I think our appearance is the same. I usually take photo's as an objective view of myself.

I may look horrible, but I am sure everyone feels like that about their own photos.

Most reactions

Back