Why do these DSLR cameras not have wifi built in?

kids these days...when I was young, you had to rewind your roll of film and drop it off at the lab.
You had to actually WANT your pictures.

And you didn't having to sit infront of a computer for hours editing hundreds of photos

kids these days...when I was young, you had to rewind your roll of film and drop it off at the lab.
You had to actually WANT your pictures.

And you didn't having to sit infront of a computer for hours editing hundreds of photos

Maybe not but some of these old-timers spent hours manually editing photos in a darkroom. I recently met a guy who has been doing film for years and is just now learning Digital (with a Nikon D200) and the stuff he was telling me I found amazing. I honestly don't think Digital has fully caught up with Film

Maybe not but some of these old-timers spent hours manually editing photos in a darkroom. I recently met a guy who has been doing film for years and is just now learning Digital (with a Nikon D200) and the stuff he was telling me I found amazing. I honestly don't think Digital has fully caught up with Film
Got news for you ... there are a LOT of people who did that and are still doing it. I haven't done any darkroom work for a lot of years but when I did I loved it. It's amazing what can be done in a darkroom and many, perhaps most, of the digital techniques used in software these days have their roots in darkroom techniques.

Destin said:
You can also shoot "tethered" to a computer using the right software (depends on what camera and OS you have). That way the images can be instantly reviewed on a larger screen to check focus, or lighting, or show to clients as you shoot, etc.

As far as Nikon family the d5000 body and up you can use this Dragon Motion software. I use it when I'm shooting.

please. even the eye-fi card is slow as crap. even if they do start doing that, it's going to be slow as hell for a really long time. too many kinks.

just get a fast card reader and be glad that developing film isn't the only way to see your photos.

SteffJay said:
please. even the eye-fi card is slow as crap. even if they do start doing that, it's going to be slow as hell for a really long time. too many kinks.

just get a fast card reader and be glad that developing film isn't the only way to see your photos.

It all depends how well your network is setup, how large are the files being transferred and are you(generaly speaking) transferring RAW as well JPGs. There're are too many variables at play to call the wifis card crap, it's not end all solutions but a good tool in your photog arsenal.

I use the EyeFi sometimes on commercial shoots, and I have a router that sits in the room that I use for tethering. Anything farther than about 15 feet, and the transmission speed goes to hell. It's also a bit clunky to setup, but at under $100, it's way cheaper than the Canon wireless transmitter. Built in wifi would be incredibly useful to me in the studio, but I wouldn't use it to transfer images from the memory card, I have a Delkin imagerouter for that that can download 4 16GB cards in about 15 minutes.

The camera makers have not yet woken up to the avalance that Apple has unleashed upon the world. The archaic methods of communicating between camera and flash are so 1950's compared with what's currently possible. Why can't the flash unit have its own address (IP or otherwise), which is addressed by the camera? And then, the communication between the two devices can be much more rich than what is being done currently. Why can't the camera send its control information to a sensing device? Why can't the camera be in turn controlled by an external device by radio instead of the the current method of wired tethers? At this stage, there is no reason why the mike has to be physically connected to the camera - with a bluetooth connection, you could set up the mike wherever you wanted and have it feed the audio to the camera, without worrying about the sound quality of the camera... The ability to communicate between devices changes everything.

SteffJay said:

It all depends how well your network is setup, how large are the files being transferred and are you(generaly speaking) transferring RAW as well JPGs. There're are too many variables at play to call the wifis card crap, it's not end all solutions but a good tool in your photog arsenal.

It's crap. Even transferring large amount of raw images from a notebook to a server via a wireless connection was a very slow and tedious process. A card reader is much, much faster.

Well everyone knows (hopefully) unless you are connected via LAN. Wifi is just as slow as snail mail, but what do you expect from a quarter size wireless device. The initial setup is like any other process is time comsuming for the first time. I had less issues setting up my card than I did creating catalogs in Lightroom. IMO, they were made for P&S.

The camera makers have not yet woken up to the avalance that Apple has unleashed upon the world. The archaic methods of communicating between camera and flash are so 1950's compared with what's currently possible. Why can't the flash unit have its own address (IP or otherwise), which is addressed by the camera? And then, the communication between the two devices can be much more rich than what is being done currently. Why can't the camera send its control information to a sensing device? Why can't the camera be in turn controlled by an external device by radio instead of the the current method of wired tethers? At this stage, there is no reason why the mike has to be physically connected to the camera - with a bluetooth connection, you could set up the mike wherever you wanted and have it feed the audio to the camera, without worrying about the sound quality of the camera... The ability to communicate between devices changes everything.

I was thinking this same thing earlier. It would be very possible to LAN all your components together and use a computer to control it all. The issue for me in this is that it takes the art out of it. For a generic photo studio, where they have a canned setup the above would work great.

I was thinking this same thing earlier. It would be very possible to LAN all your components together and use a computer to control it all. The issue for me in this is that it takes the art out of it. For a generic photo studio, where they have a canned setup the above would work great.

And the next step would be that I need a virus scanner and a firewall for my camera (and probably for my coffee mug as well)

.. no thanks ;)

Alex_B said:
And the next step would be that I need a virus scanner and a firewall for my camera (and probably for my coffee mug as well)

.. no thanks ;)
If they could make an Ethernet port on the camera, it would probably a seperate accessory or on the d4 models.

The d4 does have an ethernet port and a wifi option via an accessory

Most reactions

Back