Why do these DSLR cameras not have wifi built in?

For data transfer, the ethernet is a much better way than wifi due to bandwidth. However... If we separate the image upload issue from the device control issue, we need much less bandwidth for control and communication between devices. So it makes more sense to me to put radio control in the camera to communicate the information to the flashes. Canon is doing this with their new 5DIII, and their new flash. What I think users would want (but obviously not the manufactureres) is to have an open standard for inter-device communication. Then, you could have apps that are based on smartphones communicating with the camera... Your smartphone could be the camera controller, where you indicate the DOF you want, and it would read the distance to the subject from the camera lens, determine the appropriate f/stop, and if working with ambient light, adjust the shutter speed to the minimum (handheld), and if that is still not sufficient, would boost the camera's ISO to an appropriate level. If your flashes were part of the configuration, they would "announce" themselves to the camera and tell it their power and zoom setting. All kinds of options and controls then become possible. Eh, we can dream. However, I think that the existing manufacturers will be too concerned about losing their market share and will try very hard to prevent this kind of open standards.

On the other hand, I don't really see why Google won't enter this field with their smartphones, and get someone to make them a camera that would intergrate with their devices. And the way Apple is going with their iPad's we may get to the point that "real" cameras are only for the fuddy-duddies.

Probably your phone may be able to become a wireless controller now that would be usefully.

Probably your phone may be able to become a wireless controller now that would be usefully.

This has become a reality with the Nikon D4's built in ethernet ports. There are going to be some amazing remote setups possible with that camera.

Most reactions

Back