Why do these wide angles look bulbous

.....I agree that 16mm is plenty wide on FX......

I dunno. Life at 12mm is kinda fun.

D62_6137post.jpg

Sent from My OutHouse using ToiletPaper 2.3

Yeah, that's pretty sweet. Is that the sigma fisheye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that 16mm is plenty wide on FX. If I didn't need 2.8 for shooting at night I would've gone for the Canon 16-35 f4 that accepts threaded filters

Doesn't canon make a 16-35 f2.8 that accepts filters?

They do, but after trying out one I liked the tokina better. Sharper wide open, less coma, and like a grand cheaper. The only UWA lens that I've used and can compare on sharpness is the Nikon 14-24.
Which Tokina are you talking about ?

Doesn't canon make a 16-35 f2.8 that accepts filters?

They do, but after trying out one I liked the tokina better. Sharper wide open, less coma, and like a grand cheaper. The only UWA lens that I've used and can compare on sharpness is the Nikon 14-24.
Which Tokina are you talking about ?

I'm assuming the 16-28 or whatever that range is. The FX one.

Sigma 12-24 @ 12mm

Sigma doesn't make a 12mm fisheye. 4.5, 8, 10 15 are their flavors. 4.5 and 10 are for crop sensors, 8 and 15 for full frame.

[ QUOTE=480sparky;3304812]

Sigma 12-24 @ 12mm

Sigma doesn't make a 12mm fisheye. 4.5, 8, 10 15 are their flavors. 4.5 and 10 are for crop sensors, 8 and 15 for full frame.[/QUOTE]

Pooh good to know.

My little 11-16 crop lens would be a full frame equivalent of 10mm at 15mm if u attached it to a full frame dslr. I suppose i have all the breathing room i'll ever need.

My little 11-16 crop lens would be a full frame equivalent of 10mm at 15mm if u attached it to a full frame dslr. I suppose i have all the breathing room i'll ever need.

It's a really poor performer on full frame. The corners on the 11-16 are subpar, and that's on DX. When you move to full frame, those corners which were bad on DX become a significant part of your frame all around the picture.

Consider the 11-16 a tide-over lens on full frame if you're looking for excellent sharpness & performance to the make use of all those megapixels. If you're getting the D810, you'd still get 15MP in crop mode, which is about where the 11-16's sharpness is good at anyway.

I'm not sure if i'm wrong on this or not. But all those little images we take are 2mp at most when we resize them for the web. I personally don't make large prints (yet), so i think it is really a superfluous point in my case.

No.

The 11-16 mm has the angle of view of a 11-16 mm lens in FX (with a lot of vignette due to the smaller DX image circle).

The 11-16 mm on DX has a similar angle of view of a 17-24 mm lens on FX.

The image below is the Tokina 11-16mm at 16mm on a D700 (FX). I don't suggest this as an option. I use the 16-35 these days. I think this was the only shot I took with that setup.
Corners were awful.

p714072144-4.jpg

Last edited:

No.

The 11-16 mm has the angle of view of a 11-16 mm lens in FX (with a lot of vignette due to the smaller DX image circle).

The 11-16 mm on DX has a similar angle of view of a 17-24 mm lens on FX.

The image below is the Tokina 11-16mm at 16mm on a D700 (FX). I don't suggest this as an option. I use the 16-35 these days. I think this was the only shot I took with that setup.
Corners were awful.

p714072144-4.jpg

I can also vouch that the 11-16 is rough on FX. The 16-35 blows it out of the water.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The Tokina 11-16 for me is a creative tool. On a full frame camera, i can do even more neat stuff with it in both video and photo.

The Tokina 11-16 for me is a creative tool. On a full frame camera, i can do even more neat stuff with it in both video and photo.

The only benefit the Tokina 11-16 will have on a full frame at 16mm is a shallower depth of field & lower noise at equivalent ISO levels. I'm not sure what neat stuff you're thinking of????

What you're basically saying is you're going to throw terrible glass on a new full frame body & call it useful?

It sounds horrible when you say it like that, but you're thinking inside the circle - you've got to think inside the box. :mrgreen:

It sounds horrible when you say it like that, but you're thinking inside the circle - you've got to think inside the box. :mrgreen:

Not sure if medication is required for me to get that o_O;

Seriously, the 11-16mm Tokina is worth keeping if you stick with DX. If you move to FX, just resell it, or use it to tide yourself over until you can replace it and resell it, or keep your DX body as a backup and use it with that.

Most reactions

Back