Why do you do that? grrr

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I looked at my raw files, which I have on external SSD, just to get rid of some junk that has built up. 90% of the files have gone on a journey without my knowledge.

I have my raw files broken up loosely into genres and then specific categories, for example, a folder named Motorsport -> sub folders, Moto Cross, Rallying.

I take the raw files from the camera upload them to this structure and then upload from the SSD to Lightroom. Its worth pointing out now that Lightroom backs itself up to this same SSD all be it to a specific folder separate from the Raw Data, this has worked fine up to now as I don't have millions of images, but I know inherently risky too.

Anyway I found today that the Raw/Nef files have gone to this Lightroom folder for a reason I don't understand. Should I have expected this to happen?

I had it all working before but now its a real cluster f#*k

Last edited:
My first thought is the "Copy" or "Move" option may be set to the LR folder when you import. With LR3, it's at the top of the Import screen and stays the same for subsequent imports until you change it. I guess it works the same in other versions.

My first thought is the "Copy" or "Move" option may be set to the LR folder when you import. With LR3, it's at the top of the Import screen and stays the same for subsequent imports until you change it. I guess it works the same in other versions.

Did that with some new stuff today, now I wonder how to go about fixing the older stuff without absolutely kiboshing them.

I'll have to look, but I think you can just move them through the OS (Win or OS-X), then point LR to the new locations. It may take a while, depending on how many folders they were moved to.

I'll have to look, but I think you can just move them through the OS (Win or OS-X), then point LR to the new locations. It may take a while, depending on how many folders they were moved to.

Ya it will, the main thing I afraid of is MIAs during.

If you're afraid of losing something, just copy the files (temporarily) to the correct folder, then re-import. Once you're sure they're fine, archive the older misplaced copies to CD/DVD, as opposed to just deleting them.

Most reactions

Back