Why do you have a Battery Grip?

I am guilty and can say that as a for instance I wear a nice watch not just for its funtionality. I am also thankful that there are others out there, I am in the jewelry business and I deal in something that nobody truly needs.

Basically, its what makes differences in humans....you know the "old saying different strokes for different folks"

But to be back on topic, I love my BG-E2N on my 40D!!!!! I also have the hand strap and it to me is a must. It is worth the extra $25.

Freedbaby
My wife wanted me to get a Breitling, but I'm prefectly happy with my Citizen Skyhawk Titanium! :lol:

Wow I've never looked at Sony's dslrs. They have a ton of buttons!
Yes they do! And for the first day it was overwhelming. But after a few days of shooting with it I can't see how i ever shot without them! They are all in perfect locations, and once you remember where they are you can set up shots allot easier than without them. You never have to go into the menu to change a setting it's all at the tip of one of your fingers. I can't believe how much thought went into the design of this camera.

i ordered one last week for my camera,for portraits, 2 batteries speed up the af (so i have been told several times) and it does lend an air of professionalism

:blushing:

Well, I'm sure that happens, but I think most people want to see results. If they have no knowledge about photography, they probably don't care either way what the gear looks like. They just want to see a good portfolio.

I'm just one to let my work speak for itself.
You asked the question, yet you read like you didn't even see the replies. There was some legit reasons why people use them, and I think only one answered that it looked professional. Why don't you give one a try? Maybe your work would speak even louder.

Just saying.:)

So you drive an 83 Geo Metro and wear Burlap sacks? You've never bought anything because it looked cool?
Sunglasses, leather jackets, hiking boots, odds & sods.
Yes, I buy things that look cool, but they all have function built in first. I am the first to pay more for an item provided the quality/function/durability outweighs the cost to replace. I am so far pass trying to keep up with the Jones's it ain't funny because I refuse to be a slave to fashion. I can say that now only because I survived the 80's.

At least people are being honest. Thats why it's called an accessory, you can take a picture without it.
That's exactly where I'm coming from.

I don't see why you care so much? People buy fast cars all the time and I bet 90% of the owners can't get use 1/2 of what the car can do. All people here are saying is that looks played a role in their purchase. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason but it was a contributing one. It seems kinda silly to get all worked up about why people are purchasing things. I'm sure you've never bought anything that wasn't 100% functional.
Hmmmm..... How many times have you posted in this thread to prove your position or invalidate those that have an opposed opinion?

You asked the question, yet you read like you didn't even see the replies. There was some legit reasons why people use them, and I think only one answered that it looked professional. Why don't you give one a try? Maybe your work would speak even louder.

Just saying.:)

Hey Pot, you're calling the kettle black! LOL.

If you would have done what you accused me of not doing, you would have seen that I specifically stated I plan on buying one. see below:

Oh, and I actually probably will consider getting the battery grip after I get a 5D - solely for the extra battery power, added counter-balance, and easier gripping for portrait-orientation

And actually, there were a few people who said they got it because it "looked cool" and "professional"

Better make sure you got your facts straight before you call me out next time:wink:

Sunglasses, leather jackets, hiking boots, odds & sods.
Yes, I buy things that look cool, but they all have function built in first. I am the first to pay more for an item provided the quality/function/durability outweighs the cost to replace. I am so far pass trying to keep up with the Jones's it ain't funny because I refuse to be a slave to fashion. I can say that now only because I survived the 80's.

That's exactly where I'm coming from.

Hmmmm..... How many times have you posted in this thread to prove your position or invalidate those that have an opposed opinion?

Quite a few times now! I just get fed up when I read posts where people judge other people's purchases based on their own point of view, then talk down to people because they don't like their reasons. Give me a break. People act like they don't buy anything for any other reason then function. Like I said if that were the case we'd all be making our own clothing and riding the bus everywhere.

Agggh I'm done with this thread. I don't even own a battery grip.

I'm going to go mess around on my over priced imac now.

WOW! Arguing on the internet about battery grips! :lmao: :confused:

As the OP of this thread, I call Order. :)

hehehe. It's funny though, I never got the impression anyone was having a 'go' at anyone about their opinions. But people just kept posting and posting till their horse was well and truly dead.

So, I think the battery grip topic is sorted. Shall I start a new thread with "Why do you use a flash?"

hehe, I might start another can of worms, by saying that yes, I even attach my flash when I know I'm not going to use it for the same reason I'm about to buy a battery grip. Looks.

I deal with Real Estate Agents every single day. And god knows I've got to keep up with them and their standards... even if they know nothing at all about cameras. They sure seem to think that big is better. So that works for me. :)

:mrgreen: Now go ahead and Play nice, or I'll call LaFoto in here to smack your hands. ;-)

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Couldn't help myself. :lmao:

(I'll think I'll hit the horse too...)

When I bought my first "pro" 35mm (Minolta Maxxum 9000) it had a battery grip on it and I fell in love with it for a lot of reasons. The D200 that I own has one as well. Because of a quirky shipping thing, the grip was sent to me 3 or 4 days before the D200 and frankly, I have never put the battery in the camera body. I went straight to the MD.

As far as why I have one... it's what I am accustom too. But the reasons are numerous. I have large hands and long fingers so the pure feel it has is comfortable. Most of my shots are portraits and having the secondary shutter release is to me the most important thing. Sometimes even when I do shoot landscape I use this button too (it's usually a long lens combined with a monopod situation). I also find this extremely helpful for balance with longer lenses and last, the battery thing is nice. I assume that the grips for the Canons and others have AA adapters as well, so in a pinch, you can put 6 AA's in there and keep on shooting.

Plus... it looks cool and it helps you to pick up women! =o)

(true story time) I went to a homecoming game for my wifes school last fall (coincidentally it was my oldest daughters first homecoming game - same school) and I brought my camera (D200, 70-200 2.8, short lens in a sling bag, monopod adorned) and I asked the police about getting on the field to take a couple shots. I was ushered right onto the field. I told the guy that I'd stay out of the way and he said, "Don't worry about it, you look like you know what you're doing".

Simple point to this tale... looks do help and they [grips] do put less doubt into some peoples minds. We all know that this can be a facade.

I have a grip on my 30D, but not on my XTi. I have in on the 30D because it's what I take to the race track and I can shoot 3000 pictures in a weekend being out at the track 12 hours a day. The battery grip really comes in handy there and I carry extra batteries too because sometimes I need them. I also love using the shutter button on the grip when I shoot weddings. And using flash a lot at weddings drains my battery. Not having to switch batteries in middle of a ceremony is worth the grip alone.

I hope none of the people giving us crap about the grip "being cool" as one of our reasons have anything other than:

$1.99 watch from Walgreens
plain white sneakers (no name)
and a bus pass.

I would think that the people that you are describing are either jealous 13 year olds or adults with a mentality of that age. In either case, I could not care less what they said about my opinions concerning a battery grip being cool or not... cause I said it, and they are cool!! :lol: :lol:

dpolston said:
Plus... it looks cool and it helps you to pick up women! =o)

I can confirm this. My dating went from once every 10 years to 10 every day RIGHT AFTER I bought the grip for my D200

(ok so its not quite a true story, but the Maralyn Monroe look-alike at Universal Studios did tell me she had never seen one so big before... thats in reference to my camera, let's not take it to the gutter, people... LMAO!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back