Why do you shoot what you shoot?

Driving force?
At first it was 'shooting' the kids as they grew up.
Then it was 'shooting' my animals because...well because they didn't move away.

Then I moved on to things in nature.
I saw a wildflower, fungus, animal, or scene, and had to 'take it home' with me.

Then I decided to learn everything I could about said wildflowers, fungi, and other things.

...and so it continues.

The more I 'shoot' the more I learn about myself.

I've always been obsessed with nature, particularly less-cuddly animals like fish, arthropods, and herps, and photographing these animals has always been an underlying theme for me. It wasn't until a couple years ago, though, that I started to get more serious about photography and bought a PowerShot G9 to get off to a good start. With certain hobbies like birding, having a halfway decent camera on hand is almost necessary if you want your rarity reports to be taken seriously (especially for someone my age).

It makes me happy to look back on the photos and think, "Wow, I can't believe I actually saw that"... Sort of like keeping that sense of awe you experienced in the past alive I guess? LOL, I don't know if I'm making any sense. It's pretty much the same with reptiles, documenting things that no one has seen before, like when I caught a couple big gophersnakes and they started courting each other while I was still holding them! Even captive snakes don't do that.

2ynnw3b.jpg

6ticmr.jpg

2eoader.jpg

I also like how different aspects of nature photography require completely different techniques to get great photos. With landscape photography, you need to spend time getting the perfect composition in frame and then fiddle with all the settings until the photo is exactly how you want. Photographing birds, a lot of it depends on how good your gear is (not very good in my case), and also just being in the right place at the right time to shoot the heron as it catches a fish.

Reptiles are a lot of fun to shoot because you can catch them and pose them however you want (with varying degrees of cooperation on the animal's part), providing opportunities for macro or near-macro photography, as well as landscape shots, because it's really cool to see photos of reptiles in their habitats. With insects, I shoot mainly to identify the thousands of species that live around here, since identification and classification are interests of mine. Insects are difficult to shoot because they are small, fast, and usually extremely uncooperative subjects. It's a challenge!

I almost never shoot human-related stuff like people or architecture, simply because I usually find to be quite boring. I'm not too interested in that kind of stuff in person, so it doesn't really make sense for me to photograph it. Occasionally I'll bust out the camera at gatherings with friends and whatnot, but that's about it.

I shoot whatever I am asked to shoot on assignment and accept it as a challenge. The range has included dog poo, dental xrays, deskbound administrators on skis, communities from hanging out of an open cockpit airplane without a parachute, a death scene, celebrities, garbage, etc. as well as public relations, political, event work, advertising, a phd thesis and a few books. I have even done a few weddings although I generally avoid them since I usally restrict my work to organizations, companies, etc.

skieur

Always had the itch, just never listened to it. Can remember many times looking at something and going "That would make a good picture"

Then I got a new assignment at work, being sent out to do surveys that required taking LOTS of pictures. The gave me a Rebel XSi to do the surveys with, and it's taken off from there. The itch has been scratched, and like a mosquito bite... it's only getting worse.

I'm still in the experimental, shoot everything and see what happens mode. Though I am starting a modified Project 365. So far I enjoy shooting everything, but the things that I've enjoyed the most have been the fireworks, and the little bit of street Photography I've done.

I worked on many feature films and produced many episodic T.V. pilots. I have always been drawn to and had/have a serious passion for the visual arts and composition.
I have made a "transition" of sorts, from shooting vid to stills.
I still create both, but adore stills all the same.
Hosting as a DP (director of photography) on shows and features is a close brother of shooting stills. Lighting, composition, angles are a must in both fields.
I'm 31 years old now and have been in the entertainment industry since I was 15. I have a lot of life left and many, many more images to create.
Freezing an image that you see in your brain and feel in your heart, than to a memory card is pure power.;)

I shoot events and people. Whether it be models or concerts or models with a product, whatever. I like being there in the middle of it all though. I'd love to one day be a true, overseas, literally watching bombshells fall around me, photojournalist, but for now, I'll keep working with bands promoting them and organizing a mag...

I've always loved nature and I'm not a people-person. I love shooting nature/wildlife stuff, but my passion is landscape photography.

Most reactions

Back