Why do you skip criticism?

I'll only provide feedback if and only if I can see exactly what is wrong and perhaps provide suggestions on how to avoid the problem in future.

If I simply don't like a photo that appears to be otherwise well composed and well executed, then I consider that to be a subjective opinion if mine, and thus I don't consider that I could provide useful feedback.

If I sound cranky, well, yeah.. it's -26 C for the sixth day in a row and I've got a cold :(
Dress warm, a little rum in the tea helps (no driving... lol) and get well soon, Don. :)

For me, I think it's that my tolerance for lazy people has reached an all time low. Read the manual for crying out loud, sheesh.... And if you want a pat on the back, go see your mommy :lmao:

I'm with you on that one completely.

I just recently received a spam email from someone I do not know... they actually went and PAID for an email address list so they could spam us all to go vote for his picture on this site. Man it was bad... it was a night shot, blurry, poor composition and the guy acted as if he was the next Cartier-Bresson or something. I replied and then added my comments to his pic... and rated it at what I honestly thought it was worth... 1 star. The comment was rejected as it was "moderated" so you KNOW they will keep the good comments, and not the bad or even honest ones!

Most times when I comment on technical issues, the OP just disappears and that's that... Not that I'm looking for a thank you but I would like to see how the issue was resolved, that helps more than just the original poster.

Man, the comment I am about to say makes me feel old... this new generation knows little to nothing about common courtesy, much less a little respect. Thanks for making me feel old guys! :lol:

In a recent thread I already mentioned that I do not offer or ask for CC. I enjoy being in control of my own edification and that means learning how to properly CC my own pictures. One also never saw Adams, Cartier-Bresson or McNalley going to someone else on the internet asking for CC, they did their own thing and that is all that I am looking for at this time as well... my own thing.

That doesn't mean that I do not take some time to look in the CC section. I do, and I mentally CC some of the pics, and I also look at the comments that most make on the pics. I see what others critique and try to see what they see... most of the time, it is not at the level that I am looking for and move on after a while.

I made a post with a couple pictures once about 2 years ago around Christmas and asked for CC. It got several hundred views and 1 comment (matter of fact it was Sw1tchFX that responded :) ). Impressed with the number of CCs I was not. I thanked him for his CC and moved on. Matter of fact, HERE is that post.

I did post a few times in the gallery sections, but never was it for CC. Eventually, I even stopped posting in the gallery and post a pic here and there just when I want to show what I am talking about or make a point.

Last edited:
Anyone who seeks or offers criticism, or just browses the C&C threads, might be amused by this now famous entry in The Online Photographer. The "critiques" are obviously spoofs, but many of them seem pretty familiar. I especially like the William Egglestone one.

Kevin

Last edited:
Criticism is very difficult between parties that don't know each other's intent, direction, weaknesses, strengths and personalities.

Criticism is a process that takes place as an on-going discussion between two parties. It requires that the two parties know each other and trust each other.

Random hit-and-run criticism could be applied on a technical level, but even that requires a huge amount of assumptions on both sides of the conversation.

A compliment or comment about a specific aspect is always welcome.

Random hit-and-run criticism could be applied on a technical level, but even that requires a huge amount of assumptions on both sides of the conversation.

Even that has potential drawbacks. One would hope that as far as technically speaking, the one offering the CC has perfectly calibrated and quality equipment so that he would be able to offer valid criticism. No use in telling someone their pics are over saturated or WB is off if their own equipment cannot show the results as they were intended to be.

A lot of the time I don't critique because I don't think I am good enough or qualified to make any comments on the photos. However I will comment on the posts that are a bit on the lower end with things that are obvious- out of focus, glaring composition errors, underexposure, and the like.

As someone who posts photos from time to time for critique, lately all I've gotten are the attaboy type comments, which are great because they boost my ego, but on the other hand I'm not getting any comments that will help make me better. I mean, unless I've nailed the photos that well (I don't think so) lol :lol:

this seems to have the opposite effect in my home - at least as far as photography is concerned* Infact you guys are a real easy bunch in comparison (and she is not even a photographer in any sense)
Haha, my family too! Although it's usually something along the lines of "It's good, but <insert 5-minute rant here>" :lol:.

On topic, though, I agree with pretty much everyone else here, if I don't have much to say other than "It's great" or "it's terrible", then I won't say it, as it probably will have been said many times before. If I have something to say that is critique, yet has been said before (such as "The subject is great, but the composition's off"), I'll try to add something to it, possibly a resolution to the image's problems, rather than simply pointing out its faults.

If I give too much good advice for free, soon everyone will be as good as I am!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Generally don't comment if someone has already posted what I'm thinking.

Even after 45 years behind the lens, I am not one to judge. I shoot horses for money and I have found the hard way what people like and pay for.
When I shoot for myself, it's quite a different approach.

I'm still very new to photography, so it's easier for me to just stay in the background and learn from everyone's comments and critiques.

But I think that with critiquing in general, people are compelled to comment for very personal reasons. Sometimes you can work something out with your own work, by commenting on another's, or you can learn something new by spending time analyzing a photo. I think there has to be some personal motivation involved, even if we aren't aware of it, and sometimes you can call it inspiration.

For me, I think it's that my tolerance for lazy people has reached an all time low. Read the manual for crying out loud, sheesh....

And if you want a pat on the back, go see your mommy :lmao:

Most times when I comment on technical issues, the OP just disappears and that's that... Not that I'm looking for a thank you but I would like to see how the issue was resolved, that helps more than just the original poster.

Cheers, Don
This is why I mostly avoid doing it. Alot of how I like to tell someone how to or, what would make it better is, what I would have done is this or that. I nver come out and say this photo is sh!ttty or, boring. If it is boring I dont even comment on it. Hell some of the stuff I shoot is boring to some and, good to others. It is a matter of what people like. ANd alot of stuff I shoot isnt meant to be seen anyhow as, I shot it to remember something about that day and, place for me. Im saving them for when I get Oldtimers.

"I shoot horses for money...."

Tell me they don't suffer.

Me, I'm a jerk who cares only about himself. Well, that's sometimes.

Sometimes I can't be bothered. Especially if I say it too many times.

But I tend to tell people the answer, if its a common question, and then tell them they can always search it next time to avoid rude answers.

Critiques... I do that from time to time - again, my mood. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back