Why do you still do it?

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
For those who are professional I understand the obvious answer is "for the paycheck". But for everyone who shoot because they love it, why do you love it and what has kept you doing it for as long as you are doing it?
What is it about photography that makes you enjoy what you do?

I ask this question because I personally don't have a real answer yet. I get paid to go to school, and in order for me to keep my GI Bill coming I have to pass so I still shoot.
Not saying that I don't enjoy it, because I do. But I haven't had a camera without an obligation yet so I can't tell if I'm truly passionate about photography, or I'm just collecting a check.

I enjoy taking photos, but I've recently discovered that I favor just about all types of portraiture. I dig the connection you can develop with even a complete stranger over a short period of
time, and I truly believe that chemistry comes out in the photo. I'm yet to not click with one of my subjects. No, my photography isn't great/good, but I think people can see what I see when I look at my photos.

When the classes are over, and I'm not doing it because I have to, I can't say that I will or won't continue to shoot, because I really just don't know.

So why do you do it? More importantly, why do you enjoy it?

This is going to sound really conceited but...It's the only thing I'm good at

Do you enjoy it though?

Yes I do. I'm not sure if that's partly because I've gotten better or if I innately enjoy it. I originally got into it because my interest in the sciences was waning and I needed a personal outlet that made me feel like I was creating something worthwhile.

And...if I didn't enjoy it...There are so sooooo many other things that I also don't enjoy that would be more lucrative.

Why do something I hate and be poor when I can do the exact same thing and be well off? Lol

Plus I'm very competitive and selfish, and the life of an arteeest does fit my personality, even though I'm well aware that I'm probably a terrible person and should reconsider my attitude.

I love finding creative ways to capture things that are important or cool to me. Every photo I take is tied to a memory, a event, a location, a view, or something unique that occurred. I think understanding the technical aspects will help you find ways to do these things better but the passion and desire to capture things that are important to you is what will drive your off the clock time.

When photography becomes a passion, a real passion you know this is what you want to do. You find the specialty that you enjoy and work toward perfecting your craft. I made a great living in photography for 40+ years. There were times in the beginning that made me question if I was making the right choice. Some of the breaks you get you have to create for yourself, always be selling yourself to perspective clients. It is more about the relationships you build with your clients that keep them coming back to shoot with you. The road is not an easy one, especially today as there are a glut on the market for photography work. The best thing you can do at this point is take every opportunity that comes your way.

I can say I enjoy it. I better, because in all these years it's cost me thousands and I never made a penny.

For me it's hard to explain other then self satisfaction and a challenge to do better. The odd thing is, before I joined here, my photo's were never viewed outside of family members so it had to be for self satisfaction. Mully said it best. It's a passion.

I had no choise, this was the thing I could keep doing forever. Just being involved in a thing, that is like try to climb an endless mountain. So I'm hooked.
And Oh ya, they wont let me have hobbies that included sharp objects. later Ed

That's one of those kinda deep questions. I'm at the end of a career in photo. Like Mully I started about 40 years ago. I shot weddings, I did some grip and grin, I worked in sales and service, I managed to land a few commercial gigs, I did some fine art and I eventually got the Masters degree that set me up for a 25 year stint as college prof. Now I'm semi-retired just teaching a part-time class here and abouts. I've got another 4 years of that until Medicare kicks in (assuming Paul Ryan gets his straight jacket fitted) and I can be fully retired. I am more active now taking photos than I have ever been and I can honestly say I enjoy it more now than ever before. For one, I finally got the tech end figured out so I can concentrate on just taking pictures. I don't have any illusions that I'm some undiscovered artist or that I'm producing anything that posterity will cherish after I've passed. I share what I do with friends and family -- art is fundamentally social. I share here on TPF for the same reason. If you ever ask the question what makes humans unique from all other life on this planet the answer is art and religion. I want nothing to do with the later, so I'm an artist.

I love art. All of it and in all of it's forms.

I love music and I play music every day, quite badly, but, only my dear wife has to tolerate me. I listen to music every day. I read every day. I love poetry and there is always a book of poetry within arms reach of my desk every day. I love painting and I visit my friends and colleagues who paint and draw. I love ceramics. I made spaghetti for diner tonight and I served it in a hand made ceramic bowl that was made by one of my students. Tomorrow I will drink my coffee from a hand made mug given to me by one of my students -- it's blue and perfectly elegant and it makes my coffee much better.

Why do I do it? What else would you do in it's place? I could give up photography specifically if and when that day comes, but I will keep reading poetry until I'm blind and then I will listen to music until I'm deaf and then I'll be ready to die.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” -- Goethe

Joe

edit: My avatar is a ceramic effigy mask that you can find on display here: Hampson Museum Arkansas State Park: archeological collection of Nodena artifacts - Arkansas State Parks. It's about 1000 years old. I've seen it in person (obviously) and been absolutely transfixed by the experience. You can do all the DNA science and archeology science you want till you're blue in the face, but one look at just this one artifact across 1000 years of history tells me with utter certainty that it's maker and I are siblings. Art defines us.

Last edited:
I got hooked because of my desire to always improve. I can't stop because I haven't stopped learning, nor have I reached a plateau. I see styles and compositions that inspire me to re-create them or try and improve upon the in my own way, with lighting being my passion.
During those magic hours of the day, I find myself trying to explain to people with no interest in photography, why it's so special and show how it enhances skin tones and moods...

I guess there are many reasons...

I've always liked photography, its something that is easy to do, but hard to do well, and is practically impossible to be perfect at in every facet, so its one activity that a continuation of learning and advancement is always going to be there and be continually challenging, and always progressing...that is if you're pushing yourself...when complacency in your work sets in, and you're okay with 'good enough' then that is when the enjoyment and eventually interests will wane...the same could be said for many different hobbies really...

I've enjoy capturing something that is "mine". Similar to an artist who paints, just a lot quicker.

Photography relaxes me, and that is the primary reason that in all these years I have never had any urge whatsoever to shoot professionally. I shoot what and when and where I want to, and I have nobody to please but myself. That's the way I want it. I go walk through the woods or around a lake and I see things I never would have noticed had I not gotten involved in photography.

I am driven by the desire to gain popularity on online forums.

I am driven by the desire to gain popularity on online forums.

^^ An acknowledgement from random, unbiased people with kitty cat avatars.

Most reactions

Back