Why does Adobe want Apple.quicktime to view video?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi,
Have loaded videos on my Dell computer using PSE 11 off of a Nikon camera and a SanDisk (?) card...why does it say I can't view it without Aple.quicktime being loaded first? This has been a while, not just recently...
I am not tech-speak, so help appreciated.
( I do have an IPad that shows the video when I download it on that device....)

Try right clicking on the file then open with and check the box for setting the default program to open video files of that extension to another program?

Try right clicking on the file then open with and check the box for setting the default program to open video files of that extension to another program?

You can also tell it to make that program the default program so you don’t have to do it again in the future.

Thank you for that suggestion...ugh, didn't give option for another type download..
But next box says "select file cannot be played without compresser/decompressed (codec) installed"

Ok have NO idea what that means. :(

On the laptop, I just went back to May 2020 under generic 'photos' ( Not PSE 11 )
And the videos play there. Those photos come off my phone, not the camera card.
The camera shots I always load in PSE....
Will try moving some files from PSE to generic 'photos' and see what happens..

I think .mov is a quicktime format developed by apple. So that may be why your computer is looking for quicktime to play them. I'd try downloading VLC player and seeing if you can play the files by opening them directly in VLC. It may be a setting in PSE (I'm not familiar with that program though). If you can open them in VLC try converting one to an mp4 and see if that works

Maybe

I think .mov is a quicktime format developed by apple. So that may be why your computer is looking for quicktime to play them. I'd try downloading VLC player and seeing if you can play the files by opening them directly in VLC. It may be a setting in PSE (I'm not familiar with that program though). If you can open them in VLC try converting one to an mp4 and see if that works

Maybe

Thank you for the info and effort to help me. I will try these tips in the morning!

The video was compressed using an Apple compression/ decompression algorithm or "codec" which is part of the Apple QuickTime software suite.

I used VLC player at work to watch various formats of video. I recommend it.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

I never got to try out the suggestions...
Am now in an Internet available area, so can open some of the help you have attached.
And living in an RV means the laptop is not set up all the time, although I do put the card in to upload photos..
I need to figure this out, thanks!

Most reactions

Back