Why does it always rain on me???

chris82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shutterbugs.myfreeforum.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a new tripod,polarizer and cokin filter kit the other day and I couldnt wait to get using it all.So I planned to go out and take some pictures today.We had clear skys all morning so I started getting my things together,Then disaster struck.I droped my polariser and the free filter that comes with the cokin kit.I was fuming but I decided to go on out anyway,I mean I still had my tripod and clear weather right?So I suit up and go and as soon as I leave the house the heavens opened but I thought it might just be a shower so off I went.It turned into a bloody storm so I had to turn back.Soaking wet I headed home and low and behold when I enter my driveway...I drop the damm tripod,Its broke now aswell :cry: so all I have is my cam and an empty cokin kit.Do you think its a sign from the photo gods.:soapbox: :angry1:

If it broke - then it was a bad tripod.

The gods are directing you towards a carbon fiber gitzo.

Cokin sucks too.

You should be grateful... to appease the gods you must contemplate as to what set of legs you have to buy and then what kind of head without food for 2 weeks.

After a long search, you will understand.

DocFrankenstein said:
If it broke - then it was a bad tripod.

The gods are directing you towards a carbon fiber gitzo.

Cokin sucks too.

You should be grateful... to appease the gods you must contemplate as to what set of legs you have to buy and then what kind of head without food for 2 weeks.

After a long search, you will understand.

:lmao: Good point,But what do you mean when you say"what kind of head without food for two weeks?

One of those "don't eat in search of enlightenment" things.

I'm not sure which one, cause I've never tried fasting for more than a few hours myself

That sucks big time!
But Doc was right, if a tripod broke from falling, do you really want it holding your new camera?

EBphotography said:
That sucks big time!
But Doc was right, if a tripod broke from falling, do you really want it holding your new camera?

Im not sure if I want to be holding my new camera!I am begining to wander was it such a good idea in upgrading to an SLR so soon or worse still was it such a good idea upgrading at all!I just havent got a clue how to use it,so taking photographs is not fun anymore.But then this might just be a learning curve.I havent captured any images worthy of the canon name with my slr and it looks like I wont until I get another tripod(I didnt even get to use this one,or the filter or polariser for that matter) which wont be untill another two weeks.By that stage I might have thrown my camera over a cliff or down the toilet :grumpy: (clenches fist)Im so frustrated with my photography at the moment but I dont want to quit because I enjoy...enjoyed taking photos.

chris82 said:
this might just be a learning curve.

You got it. You will get there eventually, don't worry. :) It takes time adjusting to completely new equipment! And don't wait for your tripod before you go shoot, you can shoot without it!

Whatever you do.... Put that strap on your camera, and put that strap around your neck! Always! Get into the habit of putting the strap around your neck every time you pick it up. And if you hand it to someone, tell them to strap it on. In fact, don't release your grasp from the camera until the strap is around their neck. And when you go to lock it onto the tripod, keep that strap wrapped around your wrist and gripped in the palm of your hand until it's secured to the tripod.

It only takes one time almost dropping 400 or 600 (or more) worth of photography equipment--and the subsequent heart stoppage--to realize this is the best habit you can have. I'm fortunate... I only dropped a camera once--the last one I had, a Rebel GII--and it survived with only a small gouge in the body. The new one... I ain't takin' chances.

Anyway... I've lost filters, broken them, scratched them--and most of all, bought new ones. I'm in the market for a new polarizer now :lmao: . It happens. Rain... yeah, stuck in it... I guess that's what umbrellas are for... I've usually wrapped mine in a plastic bag with just the lens poking out. And yeah, if you drop your tripod from any reasonable distance and it breaks, you need a better one anyway. Even the $19.95 el-cheapo model I have has survived that test (yeah, I did it intentionally, just to make sure :mrgreen: )

As for learning to use the camera... remember... keep the meter "needle" somewhere near the center... if it's not flashing, you're probably pretty close. And, bravo for using the Tripod in the first place! More people (myself included) need to quit being lazy and do that!

Uhm... :soapbox: I'll get down now and go back to my quiet corner LOL.

-JamesD

I too have been in a learning curve. Of course I got over my fustration after my first week of my new camera. I still don't take 100% perfect pictures but I just keep snapping away and I usually get 5-10 good ones out of 50 or more.

See Chris, your not the only one going through it. If you even get one good photo out of 50 or maybe even 100 in the end it will all be worth it!

the strap idea is a good thing, I usually keep it wrapped around my wrist if I am just holding my camera, you can never be too careful.

As for the learning curve, is there anything in particular you are having problems with, maybe we can help?

I want to have more control over my pictures but every time I try changing the settings the pic is not so good,so I end up shooting in basic mode just to get a clear shot that is the frustrating part,Learning which is the right aperture,shutter speed,ISO.Things like that

the priority modes (Aperture priority = Av, Shutter priority = Tv) lets you adjust one thing and the camera compensates for the others. so in Av if you want it stopped down nice and open for shallow depth of field, the camera will automatically increase the shutter speed so that your picture isn't overexposed. Best way to learn is speed a week shooting each type.

Most reactions

Back