why does no one have anything good to say?

The fact is, people only leave comments when:
1. the photos are really bad
2. the photos are really good
3. posted by a really active member
4. very interesting photo (even if it is poorly shot)

If your photo is not in these category, forget it. You are lucky if you get 5 comments.

Bitter Jeweler said:
The funny thing is, we have this discussion about once a month and nothing changes.

It's a board of mixed knowledge.

Along with all the seemingly negative comments, there are a LOT of positive comments from people who don't really know what they are talking about.
I could point to several recent threads where an image got all glowing reviews, yet the images were boring, mundane, and "common". And in that case some of us just shake our head rather than reply. Now, how is THAT helpful?

While I agree that not every picture is a picaso I'm trying to figure out why you have the almighty power to claim someone else's opinion to be wrong? The one post that got me upset was a member writing "this photo should never have been posted" or something to that affect. I'm sorry, but this pphoto may not have been to his standard however it may be the best that person had at the time. To act as if he has final opinion is BS. Point out where improvement is needed but leave your commentary out of it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else might.

The fact is, people only leave comments when:
1. the photos are really bad
2. the photos are really good
3. posted by a really active member
4. very interesting photo (even if it is poorly shot)

If your photo is not in these category, forget it. You are lucky if you get 5 comments.

YES! Except #3. I practically live here.

whenever i post anything for C&C everyone focuses on the bad, i understand how important it is to know what needs to be fixed and corrected but to not say anything about a photo is good whatsoever is just insulting in my opinion.

its this that has shied me away from this for quite some time in search of more supportive ways to improve my skills

:lmao: I tell you why... BECAUSE you use iPhoto to process your images in and it sucks! Sorry couldn't resist! :lmao:

This is my observation:

Post a photo and received a lot of negative comments =
- The photo has a lot of issue or at least one major issue that even a beginner knows about it.
- Issue could be technical issue such as focus, exposure or how the photo was composed.
- A lot of work need to be done.

Post a photo and received very few or no comments =
- Most likely your photo is fine as far as technical issue goes.
- But the photo maybe still not standing out. Need more work on composition and techniques.
- More work need to be done.

Post a photo and receive few positive comments =
- You can getting there, still need to work on some techniques and composition.

Post a photo and receive a lot of positive comments =
- Great job. But still need improvement.

I have to pick up on something mentioned by The Traveler. Sometimes people don't even try to turn the feedback they get into anything positive. I don't always go back and try again when I get less than positive comments, but quite often I do. I try to put the advice I get to good use: sometimes a re-shoot and sometimes I try it out in similar situations. My experience on this board has been that if you are willing to put the work in, there will be support for your efforts and patience shown to you. However, if you choose to ignore the input and carry on regardless, then it won't be long before those who could help will stop looking in on the photos you post.

When I post photos I don't expect a lot of comments, I'm not looking for praise. I post pictures when I have something that people can look at and maybe learn something from it. Last week I posted a couple of photos in the people gallery "the two dollar studio" it was to show that good portraits can be done using one bare light bulb, nothing more than people using it as a learning tool. If someone types out a long explanation as to what the pictures are, then most of time it's like throwing out the smoke and mirrors to cover up the weakness in the photo. There are bad photos posted on here, ones that just can't be fixed, so other than just saying it's bad, perhaps I should just say, "I would have deleted this one so no one could see it". I comment on photos that I like, that are different and that are well put together. I don't comment on every photo, I don't look at every gallery, maybe some people do.

I can also see why people don't comment as it was mentioned in this thread earlier, they are new to photography and are concerned that what they say may be wrong, or that they aren't at a point where their comments would mean anything, as they don't know what could be changed to make it better.

I am sick of people whining and crying that no one looks at their photos, people do look, but they don't comment, and when someone does comment and says something negative, they complain and state that "you obviously don't understand" I understand that they have never been told no in their lives, and hearing something other than "you are great" just doesn't sit well.

imagemaker46 said:
I understand that they have never been told no in their lives, and hearing something other than "you are great" just doesn't sit well.

That is sad that we are heading in that direction and IMO its only going to get worse. Nobody loses we are all winners, blah blah blah sets people up to not be able to take failure.

mishele said:
Is it time for another coddling thread? lol:sexywink:

The way you were talking about your insanity workout, coddling may help in this thread lol.

If anyone has a website and begins charging clients whether the self-proclaim professional or not deserves stronger, more stringent critique. You're basically telling us, your client base, that you no longer need training wheels and you're wearing big boy pants.

I might be wrong but I don't like it when people sugar coat it for me.... Just say what you got to say.

Scenario:

2 + 2= 4. " Very Good Little Johnny" Now what has Johnny leaned?

2 + 2 = 5. "No Johnny, that is not correct. Let us try this. Here are 2 pencils and here are 2 pens. Now how many things do we have to write with on the table." 4 "Now Johnny, the next time you have a problem with addition you might do something like this with whatever you have on hand. You can even just make marks on a piece of paper and add them up." Johnny has now learned a technique that he did not have in his tool box before.

Praise is nice but it sooths the ego.
Constructive critisism while not so good for the ego, provides tools to improve. Why are you asking for C&C, Ego or Education?

gryphonslair99 said:
Scenario:

2 + 2= 4. " Very Good Little Johnny" Now what has Johnny leaned?

2 + 2 = 5. "No Johnny, that is not correct. Let us try this. Here are 2 pencils and here are 2 pens. Now how many things do we have to write with on the table." 4 "Now Johnny, the next time you have a problem with addition you might do something like this with whatever you have on hand. You can even just make marks on a piece of paper and add them up." Johnny has now learned a technique that he did not have in his tool box before.

Praise is nice but it sooths the ego.
Constructive critisism while not so good for the ego, provides tools to improve. Why are you asking for C&C, Ego or Education?

Pints and wings helps me with my 1,2,3's lol.

You can go to your family, or to Facebook for praise! If you want honesty.. we will try to provide it! :)

whenever i post anything for C&C everyone focuses on the bad, i understand how important it is to know what needs to be fixed and corrected but to not say anything about a photo is good whatsoever is just insulting in my opinion.

its this that has shied me away from this for quite some time in search of more supportive ways to improve my skills

I think it depends upon the kind of photographs you are posting. I have seen quite a few positive comments here. Choose from the following:

1. Keep trying.
2. Show them only to your mother.
3. Never ask anyone for an opinion.

Most reactions

Back