why does the stove element appear purple?

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I took this photo with the camera on my phone (Nokia Lumia 710) and the stove element looks purple when it should be reddish
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is this normal or do you think there is something wrong with the camera or sensor?

WP_000005 by _erotavlas_, on Flickr

Last edited:
Unless you did something in Photoshop, I got nothing. White balance looks good in general so I have no clue why something red would show up blue. Honestly, never seen this before.

Try taking a picture of something else red and see what happens.

Your white balance is set for a different color temp.... looks to be toward incandescent lighting.

Red objects look red (flower or strawberry)
I tried changing the white balance to different values but that had no effect.

I think it has something to do with the infrared

I tried with my other sony ericson phone (3MP sensor) but it was looking normal
And it looked totally normal on my Sony NEX

But I found that on my Asus Transformer tablet which also has a 5MP sensor like my phone it also appears purple.
So I think its something sensor related

SONY NEX

DSC00644 by _erotavlas_, on Flickr

ASUS TRANSFORMER

IMG_20120520_204829 by _erotavlas_, on Flickr

SONY ERICSSON w705

DSC00114 by _erotavlas_, on Flickr

Last edited:
I agree - it is likely to be infrared passing through the blue filter. The IR filter over the sensor may not be blocking all IR, so some gets through to the Bayer array. This happens sometimes with certain black fabrics that strongly reflect IR from the sun, and thus take on a purple hue. Similarly, when you shoot through a deep yellow filter (ie one that blocks almost all blue) the blue channel may record almost only IR.

Cool stove!!!! Where can I get one????

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the phone has an infrared port (if I'm not mistaken), so maybe there can't be an IR filter on the camera... or the other way around. I dunno, just thinking out loud. I'm tired now.

Like others have said, it is the IR light making the element appear purple. You can see how sensitive your camera is to IR by pointing a tv remote at it and pressing buttons while the phone's camera app is open. You'll see the light coming out of the remote.

More importantly I think you've found yourself a good camera for IR photography. Get yourself a IR pass filter and start taking some mad shots :)

Most reactions

Back