Why does this happen?

NessaNessa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!!

There are times when I attempt to take a picture using the M,P,S,or A modes. I always play with the settings, and during this time when I attempt to take a pic, nothing happens ( I release the button and nothing happens. I go slow and nothing. I go fast and nothing.) The camera does not respond to my command. The camera does NOT take a pic. This normally occurs when I am close to my subject, but I recall it also happening when I have been a distance away.

Is something wrong with my camera or do I need more experience :(. Unfortunately I cant share the specs info bc like I mentioned, the camera did not take pics.

I am somewhat new to photography and have yet to figure this issue out. My manual doesnt make mention of any of this. Thanks In advance!!!

NIKON D31OO USER

It might be your AF mode, and your camera's inability to achieve proper focus. That would be my guess if you are trying to take photos within the minimum focus distance.

I agree with Tyler. Sounds like you have your camera set to 'focus priority', which means it will not take a shot unless the shot is in focus. Also sounds like you may be attempting to take shots closer than the minimum focus distance.

What lens are you using and how close are you trying to take these shots?

Either that, or your camera is set to not actuate the shutter unless focus is found, and you're shooting in such low light the camera's AF cannot focus.

I have the kit lens that came with my camera, AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 MM. I am usually very close to my subjects (Ok, my daughter LOL).

Thanks for responding. You guys are quick LOL

Min focus distance for the 18-55 is about a foot. Are you trying to take shots closer than that?

Also, do you notice the lens is going back and forth in it's focus range? This could be caused by a low contrast subject or low light.

One of two things are likely happening:
1. You are not getting a focus lock as others mentioned. If you are getting an autofocus lock there should be an indicator in your viewfinder.

2. While "Playing" with the settings you have played yourself into a group of settings that will not work. For example, if you are in aperture priority and try to select an aperture that will not allow a properly exposed exposure the camera may not operate. In manual it should shoot regardless of the settings you have chosen since manual overrides all the interlocks.

Word of advice: Instead of just playing with the settings take the time to learn what they do. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks y'all. I will take heed to all the advice given. You guys are great!

Maybe you have mirror lockup set in the menu. To take a photo you have to press the shutter button once to lock up the mirror and then press it again to take the shot...

Yeah, what everyone is saying. Minimum focusing distance.

I'm going for low light and low contrast.

....My manual doesnt make mention of any of this....
The compete user's manual is not provided as a hard copy with the D3100. It is only provided as a PDF file on the disc(s) that came with your D3100.

Pages 55 and 56 of the complete user's manual do indeed explain the finer points being mentioned here by others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back