Why Film?

8x10nomore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brucekersten.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been a commercial photographer since 1977 and I have been all digital since 2003. My favorite format was 4x5 and my studio ran all its own film. Besides seeing things larger in large format and those lovely film accidents that would lead me to discovering new techniques, I do not miss film at all.

I do not want to start an emotional argument by this thread, but to have some meaningful conversations about the pros and cons to film and digital.

I greatly appreciate your perspectives and look forward to some great conversations.

Thanks-

I still enjoy working with film. I don't mind getting out the chemicals and mixing it. Dont mind the occasional snag loading reels.

One thing about digital is I have yet to get some of my best slides to transfer over to the coputer yet. I will admit I have not gone to place with a very high quality scanner. I did just buy a Nikon Coolscan 5000. Hoping it will put out better results than I have achieved in the past. I do photography truely as a hobby. It's for enjoyment, so sometimes the long road is not such a bad way.

I am going digital more often though.

Digital and film are two different mediums. It's just a matter of preference
which medium one likes to work with.

For example, film photography is easier and "sharper" than painting but that
doesn't mean film photography is better than painting. Some people just
prefer creating and hanging a painting on their wall instead of a photo.

I like B&W film photography, working with different film/developer combinations,
and using older equipment. I just enjoy it. It's not a matter of "pros
& cons" for me.

I use digital photography too in my business but I take no great pleasure in
it. For pleasure I use film.

I still enjoy working with film. I don't mind getting out the chemicals and mixing it. Dont mind the occasional snag loading reels.

One thing about digital is I have yet to get some of my best slides to transfer over to the coputer yet. I will admit I have not gone to place with a very high quality scanner. I did just buy a Nikon Coolscan 5000. Hoping it will put out better results than I have achieved in the past. I do photography truely as a hobby. It's for enjoyment, so sometimes the long road is not such a bad way.

I am going digital more often though.

Best of luck with the scanner. I have only sent my slides out for drum scanning and have had very good results.
Best regards-

Digital and film are two different mediums. It's just a matter of preference
which medium one likes to work with.

For example, film photography is easier and "sharper" than painting but that
doesn't mean film photography is better than painting. Some people just
prefer creating and hanging a painting on their wall instead of a photo.

I like B&W film photography, working with different film/developer combinations,
and using older equipment. I just enjoy it. It's not a matter of "pros
& cons" for me.

I use digital photography too in my business but I take no great pleasure in
it. For pleasure I use film.

I do miss the tactile nature of film. I don't miss the chemicals though. It is also better exercise since I sit in front of a computer so much as it is. When I first started using PhotoShop, I hated it. I was so used to making masks and dodging and burning by hand that digital production was awkward. Now, I love the control.

I did love shooting inferred B&W and color film and TMAX 3200 as well as Velvia.

Best regards-

Best of luck with the scanner. I have only sent my slides out for drum scanning and have had very good results.
Best regards-

I have considered doing that. The Nikon is probably my last attempt at doing it myself. The whole reason is I want to keep shooting some slide. And don't want to have to keep sending them out for scanning. Will see, it should be delivered just as I am getting home from a trip.

I have considered doing that. The Nikon is probably my last attempt at doing it myself. The whole reason is I want to keep shooting some slide. And don't want to have to keep sending them out for scanning. Will see, it should be delivered just as I am getting home from a trip.

Please let me know how it works out quality-wise. I still have many old slides that I need to digitize.
Best regards-

Hi Guys!

Well, I used to work for AP (photo editor) so I've been working with digital since about 94-95. I've seen it go from having to deal with wildfires with purple flames to incredible exposure and color control. Digitally, I just purchased a Nikon D300 for my freelance use. I also recently purchased an F3hp to use along with my F100 for personal use.

I like the constraints that film puts on me. I have to figure out which film to use, which iso, whether to use color or b/w. The idea that I have to work with what speed film is in the camera instead of just spinning the iso dial intrigues me. Twenty-four or 36 frames makes me think about what I'm really doing instead of just snapping off a 100 frames. I hate "chimping" and using a film camera has helped me to not constantly look down at the lcd screen when I'm shooting digital.

I really like the time it takes to develop my own b/w film. I get the same old anticipation of seeing what came up that I used to get when I started working with cameras in the 70's.

Lastly, I have negatives that my mother shot almost 70 years ago. These are still printable. I've heard of photographers who have lost digital images after only 15 years on cd so I'm not sure the medium is nearly as stable as film. How would we as a community react if the photos of Ansel Adams, Cartier-Bresson and Edward Steichen were all corrputed and couldn't be recovered?

For business, on the other hand, it's digital all the way. Not that I wouldn't like to use film, but the market has changed (editoral) and no longer supports the time needed for film.

Jerry

Hi Guys!

Well, I used to work for AP (photo editor) so I've been working with digital since about 94-95. I've seen it go from having to deal with wildfires with purple flames to incredible exposure and color control. Digitally, I just purchased a Nikon D300 for my freelance use. I also recently purchased an F3hp to use along with my F100 for personal use. I remember those Frankenstein things manufacturers were pushing for $30k. Some were lent to my studio on the hopes of a sale. I remember files just vanishing from camera hard drives. It has come a long way.

I like the constraints that film puts on me. I have to figure out which film to use, which iso, whether to use color or b/w. The idea that I have to work with what speed film is in the camera instead of just spinning the iso dial intrigues me. Twenty-four or 36 frames makes me think about what I'm really doing instead of just snapping off a 100 frames. I hate "chimping" and using a film camera has helped me to not constantly look down at the lcd screen when I'm shooting digital. It took me a while to adapt, but I do think like film shooting dig. I don't mind overshooting but it was difficult at first coming from shooting 3 sheets of 8 x10 chrome film and a polaroid.

I really like the time it takes to develop my own b/w film. I get the same old anticipation of seeing what came up that I used to get when I started working with cameras in the 70's. You are so right about the process. There is some comfort about the relaxation in the darkroom.

Lastly, I have negatives that my mother shot almost 70 years ago. These are still printable. I've heard of photographers who have lost digital images after only 15 years on cd so I'm not sure the medium is nearly as stable as film. How would we as a community react if the photos of Ansel Adams, Cartier-Bresson and Edward Steichen were all corrputed and couldn't be recovered? I'm a little worried, but I archive on those Matsui cds that are supposed to last for hundreds of years-no marker-no printing-floating archival cases-stored in the dark-the best I can do.

For business, on the other hand, it's digital all the way. Not that I wouldn't like to use film, but the market has changed (editoral) and no longer supports the time needed for film. Time has become a big issue. I used to deliver by messenger and FedEx. Now they are too slow and it's ftp.

Jerry

Hi Jerry. Thanks for your reponse. You make some very good points here.
Best regards,
Bruce

I like the way film looks without any photoshop filters to make it look like film. I like the physical feel of classic film cameras in my hand, the weight, the way the wind levers feel when you wind it, the sounds the shutters make on my FE and K1000 and F100, the silence of the ones on my rangefinders. I like the smell of film when I put the camera up to my face.. that's weird I guess... I like that my wide lenses are actually wide and not cropped. I like developing my own b&w and the smells that go along with it. I like the prices of film cameras these days. I like how people look at you either like you're crazy, or like you're awesome when they see you shooting with an old film camera.. that's kinda cool too.

I like the way film looks without any photoshop filters to make it look like film. I like the physical feel of classic film cameras in my hand, the weight, the way the wind levers feel when you wind it, the sounds the shutters make on my FE and K1000 and F100, the silence of the ones on my rangefinders. I like the smell of film when I put the camera up to my face.. that's weird I guess... I like that my wide lenses are actually wide and not cropped. I like developing my own b&w and the smells that go along with it. I like the prices of film cameras these days. I like how people look at you either like you're crazy, or like you're awesome when they see you shooting with an old film camera.. that's kinda cool too.
Your response really makes me miss the good old days. The analogue world had so much going for it! Now I am wearing out my keyboard! A good friend of mine who owns an ad agency once said, "One day we'll all be just a bunch of button-pushing monkeys. I laughed, but....;)

Sounds like love to me!

One reason I still shoot film on occasion: Asahi Pentax!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back